going to DMV to get HOV stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast
Question going to DMV to get HOV stickers?

Hey all!

I just got by 2006 civic hybrid yesterday. Yay! Question about the HOV stickers...the sales lady at my dealership suggested that I go directly to the DMV to get my HOV stickers, since the cutoff point is rapidly approaching. I don't have my plates yet, will I be able to just walk in and apply for the stickers? Anybody here go directly to their DMV to get the stickers? I don't imagine that you'll be able to just walk in and walk out with the stickers, so will making a trip to the DMV actually save any time?

thanks!

Old 08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: going to DMV to get HOV stickers?

Doubt it. Send in the application from on the website. Request that your dealership send in the VIN info electronically. I received my stickers the same day my plates came in. Good luck.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

AFAIK the stickers come from Sacramento so going to the DMV is a little red herring from your sales person.

Old 08-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If the LA Times is right -
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...=la-home-local
you've missed the boat. They say that as of three weeks ago 74108 requests had been received out of a total 75,000 available. At a rate of about 6000 requests per month since the program started a year ago, you can pretty much bet that the maximum has been reached by now.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Evil Genius

In the article it says:

Officials set a maximum of 75,000 permits. And as of Thursday, they had received 74,108 applications and issued 62,355 permits.

You may still get in.

Thx

Colin M

Old 08-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Enthusiast

I'm just sitting here with my fingers crossed. I sent my application in only a week ago. I guess I can live without the stickers if they run out, as I already have a FastTrack device. But over in San Diego there is really only one freeway with HOV lanes at the moment. Every now and then I travel up into Los Angeles, and enjoy the car pool lanes. On those occasions I usually have the family with me though...so the stickers aren't even needed. The thing that gets me mad, is that every so often while I am driving in San Diego's I-15 HOV lane...and I get passed by someone in a Civic that isn't a hybrid...or an Accord...or some other vehicle that has the sticker--but shouldn't!!! Are they even looking at the applications??? Argh!!!

I guess we all just have to be patient and see what happens.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:11 AM
Enthusiast

If you are in the Bay Area, you must have a "Hybrid" FasTrak transponder AND your license plate number before proceeding with an application to the DMV for the stickers. And no you cannot walk into the DMV to get your stickers. Here are your instructions:

FasTrak™ Transponder and DMV Decal Qualified single-occupancy hybrid vehicles can now use dedicated high-occupancy vehicle (HOV)/carpool lanes during commute hours as long as the car features a distinctive sticker issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles. In the Bay Area, a special hybrid-only FasTrak™ transponder is also required

Existing FasTrak™ Account Holders – Adding a New Hybrid Transponder

If you are ADDING a new hybrid transponder to your existing account, please do the following: STEP 1: Provide the following items to the Customer Service Center, either by mail/fax* or in-person:

A completed Transponder Request Form. See form for details about pre-paid toll amounts and/or transponder deposit amounts due.
<LI>A copy of your current vehicle registration that identifies your vehicle as a hybrid. (The address on your current vehicle registration MUST match the address of your existing FasTrak™ account.) STEP 2: You will receive a Hybrid Vehicle FasTrak™ Kit in the mail. The kit includes:

A new hybrid transponder.
A “DMV Sticker Application Instruction Sheet”.
<LI>An original receipt with FasTrak™ account verification information, including your new FasTrak™ account number, hybrid transponder number, your hybrid vehicle’s Identification Number (VIN), make/model/year, and license plate number. (Make a copy of this receipt for your records, as you will need to submit the original to the DMV.) STEP 3: Apply for your Clean Air Vehicle sticker by submitting the following items to the DMV:

A completed “Application for Clean Air Vehicle Stickers” form from the DMV.
<LI>Your original Account Verification receipt from FasTrak™. Submit these items to: Department of Motor Vehicles
Special Processing Unit MS D238
P.O. Box 932345
Sacramento, CA 94232-3450

I have #69,5xx. And that was mailed out to me 3 weeks ago. I bought the HCH2 a little over two months ago, The DMV sent my app back because I had not received my license plate number yet. That delayed the process three weeks.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:47 AM
Enthusiast

I received my civic hybrid at the end of july and immediately sent in my application with my vin# to the DMV, but they rejected and returned it noting that I needed to have my plates before I could apply for the stickers. It took exactly a month to receive my plates and I just re-applied...we'll see. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Enthusiast

Somebody else posted that there is a Assembly Bill #2600 on the Govenators Desk waiting for him to sign! It will extend the date to 2013 and make it a misdemeanor to display a Clean Air Decal on ones vehicle it was not issued by DMV.

They also said, the poster on this forum that they will add 10,000 more stickers...but I did'nt read that part.

Last edited by pingpongdave; 09-07-2006 at 08:53 PM. Reason: http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/bill/asm/ab_2551-2600/ab_2600_cfa_20060517_170752_asm_floor.html
Old 09-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

Now I'm beginning to wonder, after reading the bill, that this only applys to Super Ultra Clean Air Vehicles! (Natural Gas)

As far as the 'Stickers' Go, I don't know!