HCH '06 headrest discomfort

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 07:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH '06 headrest discomfort

Nope -- others have commented on it, and I've noticed it myself. My wife's HiHy has much better headrests which actually tilt for better comfort. I'm sure that Honda will fix this in future models of the HCH.

Don

Old 01-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EmilyHCH06
Hi all,

I just got my new '06 Civic Hybrid on Monday, and am overall very pleased with it (41 mpg so far, but I'm on my first tank and I think the dealership idled it a lot while they were prepping it for me...also, I'm up here in Massachusetts).

One major issue, though: headrest. It's incredibly uncomfortable--it makes my neck bend way too far forward, even if I recline the seat more. On a different website's forum, a 5'10" woman said the same...I'm 5'2", so it seems like height isn't really the issue.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, how have you dealt with it? On the other forum, a suggestion was made about using an Accord '06 headrest instead...it supposedly fits and is less protruding. I'd love to hear what others think, though.

I look forward to posting more positive messages about the car soon. It's as attractive and as much fun as I'd hoped, and I'll keep my hopes up for even higher mpg and comfort (once I get through the headrest issue).

~Emily
2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, Opal Silver
I would take it into the dealer before I started fooling around with it. Honda has added their active headrest restraining system to the Civic so you could be messing with something that could protect you in a crash. On the other hand, if there is something wrong, the dealer would be the best resource to document it and get it fixed.

Old 01-05-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by dshelman
Nope -- others have commented on it, and I've noticed it myself. My wife's HiHy has much better headrests which actually tilt for better comfort. I'm sure that Honda will fix this in future models of the HCH.

Don
They won't change them because they are designed that way. They don't need to tilt because they are will move forward and up in a rear end collision.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...ead_honda.html

Old 01-06-2006, 04:43 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by AZMerf
They won't change them because they are designed that way. They don't need to tilt because they are will move forward and up in a rear end collision.

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_res...ead_honda.html
I would agree, this is the first honda with the new active headrests, so I would expect the remaining honda line to have similar headrests in coming years. I believe for 2008 the laws about rear collissions will be much stricter for automakers. Have you tried different positions adjusting it vertically?

Old 01-06-2006, 07:13 AM
Active Enthusiast

You are not alone. They REALLY bug my wife. She has tried cushions, seat angles, etc to no avail. The headrests are her only complaint on the car.

Let's hope there is a solution.

Ron in SoCal

Old 01-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Emily, where did you purchase your car in MASS? I am waiting for my HCHII to come in and I am dealing with Herb Chambers in Seekonk,Mass. I heard from my dealer a couple of days ago and he said my car was somewhere in Minnesota on it's way here.

Old 01-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Enthusiast

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the comments. I'll definitely call the dealer about it. Too bad that it sounds like seat cushions may not be the answer!

Oh, for where I got my car: Honda Village, Newton, MA. Overall decent experience, however, I *hated* being on the receiving end of phone calls "to the manager" where it was kind of obvious that my salesguy was only talking to himself on the phone!

Mikeyt, good luck getting yours soon! It's interesting the path they take to get to us on the east coast.

Old 01-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Razorx

Originally Posted by rrunyan
You are not alone. They REALLY bug my wife. She has tried cushions, seat angles, etc to no avail. The headrests are her only complaint on the car.

Let's hope there is a solution.

Ron in SoCal
Neck pillow? I am going to try that and see how it goes.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:02 AM
Owner

Just heard on the radio that most cars don't have the proper headrests to eliminate whiplash because they don't come forward enough, probably to favor comfort. Maybe Honda's headrests were designed to eliminate whiplash.

Before anyone turns them around, check out how many teenagers are talking on a cell phone while tailgating.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:42 AM

Years ago when seat belts first came out lots of people refused to wear them.
They considered them uncomfortable, restrictive, annoying, they wrinkle your blouse.

Today after years of seeing how they save lives and prevent injuries we have just gotten used to them.

There is a place in the owner's manual - I don't have the page number now - that says the headrest should be touching the back of your head.

We are driving one of the most high-tech and safe cars on the road.

I think in the years to come this is something everyone will just get used to in the name of safety.

Quick Reply: HCH '06 headrest discomfort

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands