HCH II and Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: HCH II and Daytime Running Lights

Originally Posted by rysa4
UMMM.....so does all of this mean there isn't anyway to turn off the Daytime lights without pulling a fuse?......Thats all I was really asking to begin with....
Sorry I forgot to answer your question earlier. You can't disable them without pulling the fuse. Even then, there is a DRL light that will appear on the instrument panel indicating a broken DRL circuit. Look at page 60 of the owner's manual.

I had an 03 CVT HCH where there was some special sequence of buttons to allow the defroster to run in economy mode. The door auto locking/unlocking feature also has a special sequence of things to do in order to enable/disable (Pages 81-85). It is too bad they don't have a feature like this where you could enable/disable them (DRL) if you really wanted to.

Last edited by Heaviestcat; 04-20-2006 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thankyou!!!!

Old 04-20-2006, 01:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by masgian
name a few times when those lights should be off....

like a), b) c)...
Any time I want them to be off, for any reason. Waiting in the driveway, having the ignition on to do something when I'm not actually driving down the road. When I'm driving and don't feel like having them on for whatever reason I choose. the reasons are the same for why i might want the radio off, or the dome light off, or whatever. If I have a reason to turn it off, I should be able to turn it off.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Heaviestcat
It is too bad they don't have a feature like this where you could enable/disable them (DRL) if you really wanted to.
They do have this, it's called a switch, and all cars used to have them.

Old 04-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zimbop
Any time I want them to be off, for any reason. Waiting in the driveway, having the ignition on to do something when I'm not actually driving down the road. When I'm driving and don't feel like having them on for whatever reason I choose. the reasons are the same for why i might want the radio off, or the dome light off, or whatever. If I have a reason to turn it off, I should be able to turn it off.
well, I'm still waiting for a reason you want those lights off. The "I feel like I want them off" is not a reason. At least not for me. I can understand that you want control on that, but still cant understand why...

Old 04-20-2006, 03:40 PM

All of Zim's reasons seem to reflect more his annoyance with them on when hes not driving than anything else. And him saying, "because I feel like" having them off while driving is just well, selfish in my honest opinion. His need for personal comfort exceeds any I don't know, maybe SAFETY concerns that accompany running your daytime lights all the time.

Its like if someone asked you (hypothetically of course), "would you PLEASE put this bumper sticker on your car, so that it may help save lives and keep insurance costs down for all because of the number of accidents per year may decline." And he says no. Same thing, just substitute the sticker for the lights. They both don't really bother him, doesn't hurt any to have either on your car (unless you're need to "look cool" is so voracious that you couldn't bear to save a few lives instead), except that your "rights" as a citizen are being infringed on since the car MAKES you keep them on, at the expense of the safety of others. They are there for safety, so that YOU don't have to remember, because the car does. Its not some, "the car is trying to think for me" example that you've griped about in many other threads. Forgive Honda for trying to take some initiative and thinking of the safety OTHER people on the road and pedestrians alike, NOT JUST your own. Like I said, selfish....

Old 04-20-2006, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by masgian
well, I'm still waiting for a reason you want those lights off. The "I feel like I want them off" is not a reason. At least not for me. I can understand that you want control on that, but still cant understand why...
Just because you can't think of reasons someone might want to do something doesn't mean nobody else will. I gave you some reasons. But the best reason of all is that I WANT TO TURN THEM OFF. What else should you need to know?

If you must then here are some of the many times I would like to have the daytime driving lights off: When the car is on and the engine is not running - this happens to me often. When I go to pick up my commuting partner and the car autostops in front of his house. I'd like to be able to turn off the lights. When I am in the car with the key on so I can see the stupid odometer which will only display when the car is turned on, I'd like to not be draining the battery with driving lights. When I'm sitting in the driveway with a dead phone battery trying to finish a phone call with my phone plugged in, or listening to the ipod in the driveway, I would like to be able to power those things without having the lights on........ When I want to drive without them on *for whatever reason I want* is a good time to not have them on. The point here is that nobody can think of every possible reason someone might do something, and therefore shouldn't be designing things that prevent people from having control over things they should be able to control.

A great example is that, under McKinley, they tried to close the patent office because everything useful had already been invented. There's always somebody out there who thinks they've thought of everything, but they're almost always wrong.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by mexiken
All of Zim's reasons seem to reflect more his annoyance with them on when hes not driving than anything else. And him saying, "because I feel like" having them off while driving is just well, selfish in my honest opinion. His need for personal comfort exceeds any I don't know, maybe SAFETY concerns that accompany running your daytime lights all the time.
What I see as selfish is those of you who think you should get to decide for everyone else how they should operate their car. Just because my reasons are not important to you, if you try to prevent me from using the car the way I want or need to then you're the one being selfish. If you have a problem remembering to turn them on, isn't it a little selfish to prevent me from getting what I need, just because you're too lazy or forgetful to do it yourself?

There really are situations when I want those lights off. If you don't like that then I guess you have that right, but all I'm saying is that it's not your business to prevent me from turning them off just because you think its a better idea to have them on for YOUR uses of the car. Well, my uses are different than yours.

I agree that it's safer to drive with lights on. I have been turning my headlights on for day driving for decades. I nearly always have them on while driving. But that doesn't mean that I don't want to turn them off sometimes, and I shouldn't be prevented from doing that. All I am hoping is that I can retain that option for the legitimate times when I want them off.

And for the bit about honda doing things for safety... I am all for making cars safer, and I am all for people having safe driving habits, but ultimately it is the DRIVER'S responsibility to operate the car safely. Honda hasn't installed electronics to stop drunks from driving, stop stupid people from driving, to stop you from using a telephone in the car, to stop you from getting distracted by the stereo while driving...

Just think how irritating it would be if honda decided that playing with the radio and talking on the phone during driving was a safety hazard and disabled the stereo and turned on a cell phone jammer when the car was turned on. Those are much more dangerous things than driving with the lights off, so by your logic, shouldn't they be doing those things too? The point here is that the driver is responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle and that's all about making good choices. And there are times when a car needs to be on when it's not driving down the road!

Just because you never do anything in the car when it's not running doesn't mean nobody else does. I commute with others, so I am frequently waiting to pick people up in autostop. I do a lot of business on the phone in the car, so when I stop to talk to someone, I'd like to not be draining the car battery down with the lights on because I have to keep the car on to power the phone or computer. My wife is perpetually late, so while I'm waiting I listen to the ipod with the car on to power it... These are my main reasons for wanting to turn those dang lights off. But besides, as you have the choice to drive with or without your seatbelt on, the choice to use the ten-and-two wheel position or not, the choice to turn the heater on or not, I feel I should have the choice of whether to have those lights on or not. What's the big deal to you if I want them off sometimes? How am I infringing on your rights or needs by doing that?

Last edited by zimbop; 04-20-2006 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:07 PM

Its like if someone asked you (hypothetically of course), "would you PLEASE put this bumper sticker on your car, so that it may help save lives and keep insurance costs down for all because of the number of accidents per year may decline." And he says no. Same thing, just substitute the sticker for the lights. They both don't really bother him, doesn't hurt any to have either on your car (unless you're need to "look cool" is so voracious that you couldn't bear to save a few lives instead), except that your "rights" as a citizen are being infringed on since the car MAKES you keep them on, at the expense of the safety of others. They are there for safety, so that YOU don't have to remember, because the car does. Its not some, "the car is trying to think for me" example that you've griped about in many other threads. Forgive Honda for trying to take some initiative and thinking of the safety OTHER people on the road and pedestrians alike, NOT JUST your own. Like I said, selfish....

Thanks for your kind and helpful input. Have a nice day.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:10 PM

I agree with Zimbop - No need to moralize to folks about daytime running lights. Sheesh.

Quick Reply: HCH II and Daytime Running Lights

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands