Headlight Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Headlight Question

I love my 2005 HCH but there are a few minor things that I'd add including a trunk release (06?) and HID headlights. I have HID on my other car and they're awesome--even given the expense.

Has anyone tried other bulbs? I am interested in possibly upgrading for functionality--not really interested in a purple hue or anything like that. Some one mentioned SilverStars by Sylvania, I beleive.

Any insights here?

Thanks,
Lansing

Old 12-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter
Default Re: Headlight Question

Other than being highly-irritating to oncoming traffic, what's the advantage of HID headlights? They cost a zillion times more and burn out a zillion times faster.

I think that in [expletive deleted] years of driving, I've only had ONE headlight burn out in my whole career, yet it seems like these HID lights are the only part on a car replaced faster than low-profile tires.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I've been curious about HID lights myself. Does anyone have anecdotal information about how often they need replacements, and what it costs to do so?

Thanks,

Don

Old 12-28-2005, 01:48 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by dshelman
Well, I've been curious about HID lights myself. Does anyone have anecdotal information about how often they need replacements, and what it costs to do so?

Thanks,

Don
From what I've read, HID headlights will last a very long time. Typically, they are warranted for the life of the car and will last 10x longer than a std halogen (10 years??). A replacement HID bulb is about $150. There is no filament as it is a plasma that gives off the light. They are at least 3x brighter than standard halogens. One of the reasons most people who don't have them hate them is that if you buy aftermarket HID kits and install just the lamps in a standard HB3 (halogen headlamp reflector) they become street illegal in most or all states. If the front of your headlight assembly does not say HID, the aftermarket HID bulb kit will scatter the extremely bright light in all directions blinding oncoming cars and blinding you from behind in the mirrors. However, some OEM's carry the whole bulb/reflector assemblies that are street legal but expensive.

If you own a civic hybrid, you might be able to order the whole HID headlamp reflector assemblies (if such a thing exists) at high cost and replace them in your halogen (HB3) civic hybrid. Vehicles with properly equipped HID's do not cause any more glare than normal halogens. The aftermarket kits are only meant for off-road SUV use as supplemental lighting or as street legal fog lamps that can be turned off when driving on public streets/highways.

Good luck to all the ricer's that have illegally installed HID"S come state inspection time....

Hope this helps..

Old 12-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, until I drove another car with HIDs couldn't conceive of their value. For me, I get much improved night vision (read safety and comfort). From what I understand, too, HIDs should not provide better outward visibility at the expense of oncoming traffic.

My other car, for example, has the HIDs auto-level to insure that no one is blinded.

For me, the difference is like driving with grungy old sealed beam headlights versus halogen or now HIDs. There's a dramatic difference.

My two cents only...

Thanks,
Lansing

Old 12-28-2005, 02:30 PM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by Lansing
Yes, until I drove another car with HIDs couldn't conceive of their value. For me, I get much improved night vision (read safety and comfort). From what I understand, too, HIDs should not provide better outward visibility at the expense of oncoming traffic.

My other car, for example, has the HIDs auto-level to insure that no one is blinded.

For me, the difference is like driving with grungy old sealed beam headlights versus halogen or now HIDs. There's a dramatic difference.

My two cents only...

Thanks,
Lansing
Hi Lansing,
I agree. After I traded my 02-Maxima GLE with HID's, I miss them dearly. The illumination of the right side of the roadway with HID's is much better than standard halogens.

If Honda someday makes an OEM HID direct replacement headlight assembly for the Civics, I'll buy it right away.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:38 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

A regular over at Odyclub just installed a "true" HID kit in his '05 Ody. He has some good pics of the kit, install and light pattern. Go to the following link if interested...
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showth...threadid=29431

Old 12-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Consumer Reports just recently published (at least on their website) the results of their extensive test of after market bulbs (Sylvania Silverstar, etc) and HID headlights versus OEM halogen bulbs and concluded that after market bulbs and HID headlights do not significantly increase the visibility of objects in the road or on the shoulder of the road nor do they increase the distance at which objects can be seen. In some cases, the aftermarket bulbs and HID headlights actually DECREASED the distance at which objects could be seen, compared to OEM halogen bulbs. A very interesting read.

Old 12-28-2005, 04:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kaymack
Consumer Reports just recently published (at least on their website) the results of their extensive test of after market bulbs (Sylvania Silverstar, etc) and HID headlights versus OEM halogen bulbs and concluded that after market bulbs and HID headlights do not significantly increase the visibility of objects in the road or on the shoulder of the road nor do they increase the distance at which objects can be seen. In some cases, the aftermarket bulbs and HID headlights actually DECREASED the distance at which objects could be seen, compared to OEM halogen bulbs. A very interesting read.
Wow, that's interesting. I'll have to search for some of that information. For now, the $40 or so stays in my wallet. The Silverstars sounded appealing--you look at their marketing material photos of headlights/lighted streets, etc, and you'd expect improved performance--not DECREASES.

Thank you for the info!

Old 12-28-2005, 04:30 PM
G.H. Contributor
Arrow Re: Headlight Question

Another Way;

Years: 2005 and 2006 Honda Civics

Sylvania Silverstar; High Performance Lighting

Part #'s For Low and High Beam

Low Beam.....# 9006 ST

2005 HONDA Civic (4-door model)
Low beam headlamp
9006ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: the whitest and brightest Halogen

High Beam....# 9005 ST

2005 HONDA Civic (4-door model)
High beam headlamp
9005ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: the whitest and brightest Halogen

You can purchase these at a very good Price at WAL*MART:

9006 ST Twin Pack.....$37.63

9005 ST Twin Pack.....$37.63

I have had these Silverstars in many Hondas and right now I have them in our Mercedes and am waiting to have them installed in the 2006 HCH as soon as it gets here.

I highly recommend them and yes they are a Bright-White light that is similar to HID's but common sense would tell anyone, No, they are not that good. These lights really make a difference lighting up the White Reflective Markers on the road and the White Lines as well as the Very Large Interstate Signs (small-ones-too) and when it is pouring down rain they will light up these Lines and Markers so you can tell where your lane is.

So; for $75.26 I don't think you can go wrong. Yes I believe in them and that's why I am taking the time to tell you about them.

HTH

Terry

BTW: Now all I need is the HCH so I can use them

Quick Reply: Headlight Question

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands