How far is your daily commute?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Enthusiast
Default How far is your daily commute?

I notice that some of you all post that your commute is 15 miles or even shorter. Mine is about 40 miles one way. I'm curious to see what the average HCH owner's commute is. I can't see owning a HCH just to save the gas on a 15 mile (or less) trip - that's just me. Ok, I'll shut up.

Post those commutes!

Old 04-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How far is your daily commute?

My daily commute is around 40 miles one way. In the morning, the first 18 miles is open interstate, where I do around 75mph, and the rest of the trip is on a 2 line road with lots of hills, and I often get stuck in lines of traffic behind school buses. With gas averaging $2.28/gallon around here, I was spending $40-$50 a week on gas, and having to stop at least twice a week to gas up. I'm hoping with my HCH, both of those figures will go down.

Old 04-13-2005, 12:17 PM

I drive about 20 miles each way.

Old 04-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My drive is 120 to 125 miles round trip depending on which of 2 ways I go.

Old 04-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

29 miles one way..

Last edited by peggy; 04-13-2005 at 01:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mine is about 18 miles round trip, all city streets, 8-10 red lights, two stops in the morning (newspaper stop and drop off two kids) and one stop in the afternoon. Seems like some stoplights I seem to ALWAYS hit red and others I ALWAYS hit green.

In the winter, I sufffer because my 2004 HCH does not really have time to get to fully efficient engine temps before the morning drive is done. I have literally lost up to 3 MPG on a tank on one coldish morning leg of a drive.

And I live in Phoenix, where we did not get to freezing one time this past winter !! I feel for all you REALLY COLD temp drivers !!!

Old 04-13-2005, 12:53 PM
hyperactive enthusiast

I'm one of those "15 minute commute" posters-
actually my commute is about 5 steps: walk out the front door, cross the porch, and go in the door to the office over the garage.
I needed to replace my old explorer (got 17mpg) and felt great guilt for the boat towing/camp mobile suburban (12mpg) so I got the HCH for all my regular driving which is short trips locally around town: drop the kid off, pick the kid up, drop the other kid off, pick the kids up, client meetings, grocery store, etc; I still do 12k miles /year - and we use it for trips to grandmas- as long as there's no camping gear or skiis involved.
now I'm getting 45-50mpg and I figure to save $1000/yr in gas. so even without a 'regular' commute it's worth it to me. plus I like being green and less polluting.

Old 04-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

My commute is approximately 6 miles each way, with 11 traffic lights and two stop signs.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

My normal commute is 6 miles one way. My previous car was a '87 Honda Accord. It was getting old and I didn't feel comfortable driving it much more than around town. At the end of it's time with us we also had a '00 Accord and an '03 Odyssey. When I ran weekend errands I tended to drive the newer vehicle (the Ody), so when I had to replace "old reliable" I thought I would get the HCH to help my gas usage and the environment.

Billy

Old 04-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

3 miles. On a highway. That has a stoplight on it.

/should just walk to work

Quick Reply: How far is your daily commute?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands