How far is your daily commute?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How far is your daily commute?

100 miles daily.
I'm not sure about the 15 mile suggested in the 1st post.
Picking the kids up at their two schools round trip is 4 miles and I can usually get around 55mpg by the time I park in the driveway again.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 04-13-2005 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:32 AM
Enthusiast

7 miles each way with lots of redlights. I tend to average about 45 MPG. My HCH definitely does better on longer drives with less stopping, though. Of course, my previous vehicle was a fullsize 4x4 truck that I was lucky to get 15 MPG with on my commute.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:55 AM
Active Enthusiast

175 miles R/T daily, almost all highway, with severe traffic last 20 miles in, and first 20 miles out. With the usual picking kids up, grocery-getting, etc, about 1,000 miles a week. I do ride my motorcycle once in awhile, which is weird, now that my CAR gets better mileage!

Old 04-14-2005, 10:28 AM
Keepin it hyper yo

My commute is 40 miles one way. lots of elevation changes, moderate traffic.

Originally Posted by cbxtc6
175 miles R/T daily, almost all highway, with severe traffic last 20 miles in, and first 20 miles out. With the usual picking kids up, grocery-getting, etc, about 1,000 miles a week. I do ride my motorcycle once in awhile, which is weird, now that my CAR gets better mileage!
Ha - Same thing with my VFR - lamer mileage than the car!

Old 04-14-2005, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I've got an HCH and a daily one way trip to work at 18 miles. The trip is roughly 1/3 highway, 1/3 backroads, and 1/3 city. It may not have been cost affective to purchase the HCH at current gas prices but there are other "feel good" reasons, plus it looks like gas is going up (ask me if I care).

At my current use rate the Civic is using a little over half a gallon a day so right now it costs about a buck and a half to get to work and back.

Old 04-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Question Re: How far is your daily commute?

i drive about 40 miles daily, mostly on the highway at the speed limit with tires currently at cold pressure 32/31 front/rear, which is what my dealer put them at after my 10k service

pumping them back up to 35 psi today

should be getting much better mileage than 46.7 mpg (my most recent tank) but i live on top of a large hill, and interstate 280 isn't exactly flat like interstate 101 in california

who knows what i'm talking about ?

Old 04-18-2005, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

My commute is about 140 miles R/T a day and that includes picking up my son and little stuff that needs to be done before getting home each day.

How much money I am saving on gas was a big factor in purchasing my car. My previous car was a Jeep 4x4 and I figured that I would be saving $207 in gas a month.

I filled up my car this morning and am on my third tank. My ride in to work this morning was at 50.3mpg.... that's good from a first trip to work that was 38.7 mpg. Learning to drive to maximize my mpg!

Old 04-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

My daily commute is 12 mile round trip with 4 traffic lights and a bunch of hills. I am still convinced that because 90% of my driving is this commute that my 40.8 MPG is low.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renato
My daily commute is 12 mile round trip with 4 traffic lights and a bunch of hills. I am still convinced that because 90% of my driving is this commute that my 40.8 MPG is low.
It will get better as you learn more about hypermile driving. My commute is similar to yours, and my MPG has suffered because of that fact, but I finally have reached "Hypermiler" status after 11,000 miles over 9 months of driving. It's a game, and you WILL get better at it if you are inclined to do so.

Read about "driving with a load" which is not bathroom humor ( ) but is a method which can help people who have hills in their commute achieve higher MPG.

Also, I would make sure you overinflate your tires at least a little bit (the 30 or 32 PSI Honda recommends is WAY TOO LOW) if you want an easy and cheap way to help increase your MPG.

Anyway, good luck and trust me, your MPG will get better. My first tank was 38.4 and my currently last tank was 53.4 !!!

Old 04-19-2005, 06:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Question Re: How far is your daily commute?

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Read about "driving with a load" which is not bathroom humor ( ) but is a method which can help people who have hills in their commute achieve higher MPG.
most of my driving is on the highway, and i set cruise control at 60 mph.
it contains plenty of hills and inclines that require 33-50% assist uphill and trickle to full-charge downhill. do you think i would fare much better mileage "driving with the load" attaining 65 mph at the bottom of hills and slowing down to 55 mph at the top of the hills? what speeds should i try?

Quick Reply: How far is your daily commute?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands