How much current can the DC/DC converter handle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:44 PM
Default How much current can the DC/DC converter handle?

What is its equivilant rating if I were to compare it to an alternator?

Does anyone know the manufacturer and part number so I can look up technical specifications?

Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
Energy Independence!
Default Re: How much current can the DC/DC converter handle?

I think this question has been asked previously a couple of times, and the earnest response we have received is a resounding: "??????".

Like many of a hybrids's unique features, Honda is keeping this information close to the vest.

An educated guess would be that its amp rating would be almost identical to the alternator of a similar trim level Civic (EX?).

That does not mean that its output impedance, nor its ability to deliver peak transient power, to be identical.

Old 03-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Rarely post anything

Hondapartsdeals.com may have the Honda SKU (an outside chance they'd have the mfg, but you'd have to have multiple suppliers - that's when they differentiate with different part #s, mostly). For example, it was there that I found *blue* cloth door panel inserts for the new HCH2 (expensive, though), listed along with the US-spec ivory

As for the specs - I will look in my HAH service manual and see if I can find the info. Might not be the same as the Civic's, but you'd at least have an idea. $ well spent, I think, given all the info that's in the service manuals. The new HCH-2 manual isn't available yet, btw, for those asking.

If I can find it, I'll post it. I won't be able to look tonight, but can tomorrow.

I'll guess that someone must be planning some amp upgrades If I guess right, let me know - I'll be interested to know what you pick out so I can size my own stuff

Old 03-22-2006, 02:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Is there a fuse label somewhere that may give a hint?

Old 03-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I know this doesn't answer your question, but on the Insight it was determined there was only about 30 amps of overhead to play with for those stereo amps. I had a 25 amp fuse on the wire going to my small amp and never had any issues with it. Of course I think I used the rear window defroster all of twice ever. It's *likely* something in the 100 amp range.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:32 PM

Heh. I have I think a 150A fuse going to my amps in my trunk. I wonder just how close to maximum I'm at

Old 03-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Rarely post anything

Well, I *think* I may have found the answer, depending on how the question is phrased. The original post stated : "What is the equivalent rating if I compare it to an alternator." Again,this is per the 2005 HAH service manual, although I think you'll be in the ballpark on the Civic.

Per the test procedures for low battery voltage (12v), the DC-DC converter is supposed to put out between 90 - 192v of power when measured (and they specify to test highbeams, fan speed max, and RR window defroster 'on' - in separate tests).

However, I can't find a 'steady state' rating - that's just the 'acceptable' range before a replacement of the DC-DC converter is called for.

As far as what's being supplied to the 12v battery, it can be anywhere from 9.5 to 14.5v before trouble codes will be set for that, as well. If you're interested, I can post the trouble code #s - you'll have to hook up something to the ODB-II port to interpret them, of course.

If I've misunderstood the original question, or you have additional questions as a result, let me know. The pages in question are very numerous, so I don't think a site post is the proper way to go about it - however, I'd be glad to scan / email them, if you like.

Old 03-26-2006, 07:14 PM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue
Per the test procedures for low battery voltage (12v), the DC-DC converter is supposed to put out between 90 - 192v of power when measured (and they specify to test highbeams, fan speed max, and RR window defroster 'on' - in separate tests).
I think that the 90 -192 units should be amps, not volts. Am I correct?

Old 03-27-2006, 04:30 AM
Rarely post anything

I doublechecked, and it does say 'V', so I'm sticking with 'volts' - until I have better info or someone else provides definitive info

Old 03-27-2006, 06:11 AM
Energy Independence!

Thank you very much for checking the facts for me. The units seem a little odd for a converter that is supplying power to a 12v nominal system. Maybe a typo error during the manual's translation.

Quick Reply: How much current can the DC/DC converter handle?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands