How much did you pay for your first service at Honda?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: How much did you pay for your first service at Honda?

They quoted me $165 for the "7500 mile service". When I complained about the price they knocked off $10, so I paid $155. I was upset but I went ahead with it because I also needed a wheel alignment which they did under warranty. I talked to the service manager afterward and told him it's a ripoff. He said all the dealerships in the area charge the same. That was his only explanation for the price. I told him he's not going to see me again.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by ElanC
They quoted me $165 for the "7500 mile service". When I complained about the price they knocked off $10, so I paid $155. I was upset but I went ahead with it because I also needed a wheel alignment which they did under warranty. I talked to the service manager afterward and told him it's a ripoff. He said all the dealerships in the area charge the same. That was his only explanation for the price. I told him he's not going to see me again.
After getting home with the car I discovered a new scratch on the front fender. I checked the tire pressure. It's 36-37. I specifically asked for 40 and the service advisor said that's what it is when he gave the car back. : angry::a ngry::an gry:

In case anyone is wondering, this is Honda of El Cerrito.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:11 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EZ2beGreen
If that is for a Hybrid (not gas engine 1.8) Civic, I think your dealer is leaving money on the table. $35-40 is not unreasonable at all. $50 is on the high side.

Either way, the dealer giving you a price sheet with the cost of each service is a fabulous idea!
Nope, thats for the 1.3l civic hybrid. The sheet isn't based on any type of mile intervals. It's got all the codes the maintenance minder will spit out and the cost for each. In order to figure out your cost you just add the items. The tire rotation is free and the oil change is 25.17. We'll see in practice whether the salesperson's sheet meshes up with the service person's when the time comes though.

Jayson

Old 06-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Well the first time I went, I paid about 50 bucks in the end. Came with the first service, the "A" service or what not. I thought that was pricey....

Old 06-03-2006, 10:54 PM
Enthusiast

The charge today for the oil change and tire rotation here in Albuquerque was $69.99 (my first service at ~7400 miles). The dealer sends out 10% off coupons so the bottom line was $63. A bit high, but I had them do other minor work and the trip computer update at the same time. We'll see about next time...

Terry

Old 06-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Enthusiastically Active

Originally Posted by ElanC
This is what they originally quoted me for the Honda 7500 mile service. The problem is that it includes far more than required by the HCH's computer.

Old 06-05-2006, 06:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Archslater
This is what they originally quoted me for the Honda 7500 mile service. The problem is that it includes far more than required by the HCH's computer.
Go by the owner's manual recommendations over the dealer. The dealer will always throw in every possible item; the manual will say check rather than replace many items.

Unless you drive under extreme conditions, the manual will guide you well.

Our 1983 Honda Civic Sedan lived for 11 years and 140,000 miles with 1 carb. rebuild, 1 new timing belt, 3 tune-ups, 1 new radiator and lots of tires and brakes. If only my brother had changed the oil from 130,000-140,000 miles, I truly believe the car would still be on the road today!

My 1995 leased Acura Integra LS (driven hard) lasted for 5 1/2 years on lease and only had the distributor replaced; otherwise tires, brakes and oil for the most part.

I have no doubt that Hondas will last as long as you follow the minimal requirements and don't go crazy with doing every maintenance item-just what is needed.

Trust in the manual!

Old 06-05-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by mickster
Go by the owner's manual recommendations over the dealer. The dealer will always throw in every possible item; the manual will say check rather than replace many items.
The Honda dealer's price of $155 didn't include any extra part replacements. A lot of point checks and that's it. It was $100 for labor, $40 for oil ($10 per quart), an oil filter, oil disposal, and another small item or two.

Old 06-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like they charge for a minimum of 1 hour, regardless of actual labor...

Old 06-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

No way i'm paying $155 for an oil change, especiallly when the car is 7,500 miles new. For that price I can buy the oil and equipment to change my own oil at least 4x over. I may bring it in for a checkout every 20k miles so they can toss it up onto a lift and make sure the bits and pieces are still in place.

-G

Quick Reply: How much did you pay for your first service at Honda?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands