Hybrid vs non-hybrid acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid vs non-hybrid acceleration

I know I already sort of asked this during one of my first posts here, but for those of you who had the opportunity to test drive the hybrid vs non-hybrid models - how would you rate the differences in the acceleration?

I had the opportunity to test drive the non-hybrid model this weekend and I could feel the pick up of the car - at least more so than in my prior v6. I understand thats to be expected (it just feels off since im not used to it) but I've also been heard that its not as prominent in the hybrid models - is this true?

Old 03-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid vs non-hybrid acceleration

Originally Posted by PhoenixDown
how would you rate the differences in the acceleration?
Not my own rating;

I've seen different web sites that measured the EX at 8-9 seconds 0 to 60. The hybrid was measured at 11-12 seconds 0 to 60. These measurements were not done by the same people, so they may not be perfectly comparable, but I think they give a reasonable indication.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:04 AM
Proud owner HCHII

In a way this is the same question as stick shift or auto transmission. If you want speed of acceleration you will not buy an HCHII. However if you want a quiet sophisticated drive you will! I guess the answer to both questions may be age related. When I was young (and foolish?) I loved to take the car up through its rev range noisily in each gear using a manual gear box. Now I am older (and a little wiser?) I really love my CVT and have had auto autos for the last 20 years

Old 03-21-2006, 04:18 AM
Enthusiastically Active

There is definitely no comparison. If you are looking for good acceleration, buy the EX. My last two cars were an Integra GS-R and a Civic Si. The Civic Hybrid is just a different kind of fun.

Old 03-21-2006, 04:20 AM
Active Enthusiast

30 more horsepower in the non-Hybrid will make a large difference. You will notice a difference.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ditto to Janey's comment.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:02 PM

Nick wrote:
The Civic Hybrid is just a different kind of fun.
This is so true.
The few times I've demanded alot of power it is quite a different sound & feeling as the CVT smoothly changes ratio, vs. a standard automatic transmission downshifting, then running back up through the gears.

Of course I'm not saying the HCH is a racing powerhouse but is kind of cool in its own way.

I've always thought it would be so cool if there were an option to manually adjust the CVT ratio during those hard acceleration times. Kind of a gearless stick shift.
Probably not the most efficient, but if you're pulling that hard your FE is out the tailpipe anyway. But the cool factor would be "a 10".

Old 03-21-2006, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hmmm... would you describe it as smoother? How is it "engine drag" (for lack of a better description) when you start to get going after a red light?

Old 03-21-2006, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004

I've always thought it would be so cool if there were an option to manually adjust the CVT ratio during those hard acceleration times. Kind of a gearless stick shift.
Probably not the most efficient, but if you're pulling that hard your FE is out the tailpipe anyway. But the cool factor would be "a 10".
Well, you can shift from D to S.