I ran out of fuel today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Forced EV Mod?

So reading through this has given me an idea. Now, first let me say this is really just me thinking out loud (I'm certainly not trying to incite an argument or be flamed). My idea/questions is: what about some sort of mod to make the HCH *think* it was out of gas to run in EV-only mode for very short periods? I certainly understand the limitations of an EV mode in this car, but I'm thinking it might be useful in heavy stop and go traffic. Something like, say, a traffic backup where everyone is inching forward a little at a time (never going above 5-10 mph)? It's always bothered me to have to restart the engine in this situation (and then having to manually engage autostop since I didn't go fast enough for it to re-engage normally). Anyway, maybe something like a switch to cut power to the fuel pump? Something else? Too crazy?

I suppose the initial issues would be: 1) Is this even a realistic thing to consider? and 2) Does this hurt the engine to do?

I know it's probably a crazy thing to even consider (otherwise Honda would have probably done it themselves) but I open it to everyone's thoughts and comments.

Garrett
gar1138
2004 HCH CVT

Old 05-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: I ran out of fuel today!

I've had all the bars disappear when I arrived at work in downtown LA. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...006898,0.01604

I've driven home with all bars gone and arrived at the gas station in my neighborhood to fill up a 11 .3 gallon tank (~1 gallon remaining)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.032079&om=1

I think the drive from downtown LA to Long Beach is about 30 miles (using the carpool of the 110/405 freeways)

Originally Posted by Mikeyt758
If the light just came on and you are at work, I would risk the trip back to your neighborhood. I am on my first take of gas and am only on a half a tank so far. I have well over 200miles on the first half a tank. Based on my past experiences there is still plenty of gas left in the tank to go more than double what you need to go to get back home.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lifespeed
I don't think I'll repeat this incident, but I seriously doubt anything would be damaged by it.

lifespeed,
may want to be careful, i read somewhere that if you do run out of fuel, that it can cause damage to your fuel injectors because the fuel acts to cool your injectors during operation.

regards

Old 05-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lifespeed
<SNIP>I don't think I'll repeat this incident, but I seriously doubt anything would be damaged by it.
I strongly recommend against running on IMA driving an empty tanked car. While larger particulate matter in your fuel will get picked up by the fuel-filter, smaller bits will get through and without the fuel it can get into injectors, settle in fuel lines and also get into the engine itself (where normally it might just get burned up in combustion or passed out in exhaut).

Additionally you are now essentially lubricating the engine with only motor oil and if it is older, it may have some dirt in it as well (in spite of the oil filter) which now is being spread around the engine...

So all in all, don't run without gas-the risks are not worth it compared to the rewards. Get AAA or Hondacare to bring you a gallon of gas so you can get to the nearest gas station.

My 2 cents,

Michael