Installed Pioneer AVIC D3

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Installed Pioneer AVIC D3

Finally after waiting for months for an acceptable economical all-in-one solution (nav, ipod, bluetooth handsfree, xm, sirius, backup camera, dvd player, etc), I finally got the new Pioneer AVIC D3 installed (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...264980,00.html

Install was done professionally by CPS Audio which is located in Rohnert Park (Norcal, Sonoma County, just south of Santa Rosa) I had some equipment which was pulled out of my old '99 Volvo V70R wagon before I sold it.

Front Speakers: MB Quart QSD 216 6.5"
Rear Speakers: MB Quart QSD 213 5.25"
Amps: Two (2) Arc Audio 4150 XXK
Pioneer modules: XM NavTraffic, Sirius, Bluetooth, Backup Camera

More to follow...

Old 03-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Installed Pioneer AVIC D3

that looks really good, i had a AVIC D2 in mine. the thing i don't like about the D3 is that you have to load the navi DVD when you need to change routes and such correct? it aslo doesn't have a tilt feature and the screen is a little smaller than the D2. but, i like how you can customize the backlighting on the unit.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Very nice! I am seriously thinking of purchasing the D3 & XM navtraffic receiver. Can I ask how much it cost for the equipment & install?

I'm also a little concerned over having to take out the nav DVD when you want to listen to a CD, but I'll probably just start using my ipod.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:46 AM
Enthusiast

You guys know your Pioneer HU stuff. Yes, you can't do anything about the nav/cd slot. You can only have one or the other. But if you input the nav first, you can take it out and play a CD while the nav stores your destination in memory. I believe Pioneer will be coming out with a hard drive which may have the nav mapping on there. (Edit:Ok the hard drive based NAV is the new AVIC-Z2 which should be hitting the ground about March 2007 and will run probably twice as much as the D3)

Let me give you the breakdown (I already had the speakers and amps removed from previous vehicle)

Pioneer D3: $999
Ipod Adapter: $42
XM Navtraffic: $250
Sirius Tuner: $119
Rear Camera Kit: $260
PAC for SW Control: $85
Honda Dash part: $95
Sound Deadening
8 sheets: $180
Two 4 gauge amp kits: $160

TOTAL Parts: $2190
Still awaiting Blue Tooth Kit from Pioneer. Should be here any week now. Also, Honda Civic Courtesy Lights (gift from brother) installed at same time.
I'm sure labor was at least two days. They had to customize the spare tire area to accomodate the amps, and some work on the rear shelf speakers grill to accomodate the tweeters.

Please keep in mind that I have an Alpine D-901 from my other vehicle. To just have nav I would have to spend $1800 for that nav unit alone. Originally I was going to just put my Alpine HU, sound processor, XM back in and wait for the Alpine nav. But once I saw the D3 and its feature set I thought it would be the way to go.

When I get a chance I will post some more pictures of the D3 in action, some shots of the install.

Last edited by Kirb; 03-26-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast

More pics of install

http://www.pbase.com/kirb/civic_audionav

Drove it down to L.A. last Thursday and returned Sunday night. The XM Navtraffic was great (it actually will tell you where traffic problems are along your route and ask you if you want to take a detour.) The HOV sticker sure made cruising the 405 easier!

More pics and reviews to follow:

Old 03-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Energy Independence

Thanks for posting those pics. It looks great!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast

I should be getting the new Pioneer Bluetooth Kit in soon this week. That should pretty much complete the system unless I put in a CD/DVD changer so I don't have to take the Nav disc out of the single DVD/CD/NAV slot.

As soon as I get the car back, I'll have a bunch more pics of the NAV, Bluetooth, XM, backup camera, etc in action.