Making A Deal on an '06 HCH II

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Energy Independence
Default Re: Making A Deal on an '06 HCH II

I second the overpriced warranty.
Bernardi and Saccucci both sell genuine Hondacare warranties for great prices, about half what you paid. There are other places, too.
There's lots of posts about extended warranties on this site, also. Depending on the state you live in, prices vary dealer to dealer. For instance, Saccucci is in Rhode Island, and Rhode Islanders get hosed buying from Saccucci (sounds like protecting profits on home turf to me). I live in TX and got a great price from Saccucci (8yr, $0 deductible, 120K for $980).
Bottom-line is that if you want a Hondacare extended warranty, get it from one of these places. Unless you live in Florida. There you get hosed. It's a state law protecting ourselves from the unscrupulous (and from ourselves).

Old 11-20-2006, 08:04 PM
1 tank at a time ...

Sorry. USAA will tell you they can't get anywhere on Civic Hybrids or Priuses and that if you get anything better than MSRP that you are doing well.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

Re the warranty: when we repeatedly declined the almost $2000 warranty, the dealer suddenly was able to offer us the "2006 warranty price" for our 2007 vehicle - just happened to be on special that day - about $825 for the 8 year 100k 0 deductible hondacare warranty. Just ask your dealer.....

Old 11-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Well, I guess that's what we get for making a snap decision before doing the extra research. Hopefully everyone else looking will drive a harder bargain than I did!

Old 11-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Energy Independence

Yes, kpalmal, that is always worth a try. And it does work sometimes.
I tried it too, but no dice for me. I look at it as giving the dealership "a chance" to get something rather than nothing on the extended warranty. But, some dealers REALLY don't want it to be known (or shared) that you CAN do far better than the offer they first give you, so some just won't go much lower. Keeps their profit up for the next warranty sale. Fine by me, as long as these other choices are available.

Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by kristian
Well, I guess that's what we get for making a snap decision before doing the extra research. Hopefully everyone else looking will drive a harder bargain than I did!
You CAN cancel the extended warranty you bought at the dealership. Could be a pain, if tied up with a car loan, but still doable.
After undoing the warranty, then you have up to 6K miles (I think) to select an extended warranty from another authorized dealer (Saccucci, Bernardi, etc.).
My paperwork from Saccucci took a couple weeks. Simple to do via their web-site, and they even offer a 12-month no interest plan to pay for it on your Visa/Mastercard.

Old 12-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

Can you really cancel the Extended Warranty?

I bought mine through local dealor, which said that they would fully refund my warranty if I don't use it at the end of my warranty extension period. I am not sure whether I am bounded to that contract and not able to cancel it. Shoot....

Old 12-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Energy Independence

If it is a true HondaCare warranty, yes you can - "on or before 60 days following the commencement of the CONTRACT period." Full refund.
After 60 days, the refund is pro-rata, plus there's a $25 processing fee.

I think others on this site have done just that, and then they bought in again via a less expensive source (Saccucci, Bernardi, etc.). I think the time-frame to purchase the new one is within the first 6 months or 6K miles.

I have not tried this however, and cannot assure you that you can actually get the new (cheaper) contract, after canceling your current one. There is this worrisome blurb in the contract terms, too: "A REFUND SHALL TERMINATE THIS CONTRACT. IF CANCELED, COVERAGE CANNOT BE REINSTATED."
I suspect this means that you cannot cancel, then a month or two later change your mind and try to reinstate THIS contract. But I can't be sure. If so, I then also suspect you CAN just get ANOTHER contract.
I'd call the Claims & Customer Service #, 1-800-999-5901 and explain your intentions, to be sure.