Need new hybrid batteries for 2006 civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Enthusiast
Default Need new hybrid batteries for 2006 civic

For about a couple of years now I have noticed my hybrid batteries won't stay charged and/or sometimes won't even charge and I get no power except from the gas engine. I still don't have any warning lights and my dealer says they aren't bad yet. I have over 170,000 miles so probably no warranty anyway. But I want to replace the batteries and heard you can get them with more power than the OEM. Can anyone recommend a source in Missouri? I would also consider having it delivered and doing the installation myself if the best deals and equipment are far away. Any suggestions?

Old 06-25-2015, 06:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Need new hybrid batteries for 2006 civic

Originally Posted by vwiskur
For about a couple of years now I have noticed my hybrid batteries won't stay charged and/or sometimes won't even charge and I get no power except from the gas engine. I still don't have any warning lights and my dealer says they aren't bad yet. I have over 170,000 miles so probably no warranty anyway. But I want to replace the batteries and heard you can get them with more power than the OEM. Can anyone recommend a source in Missouri? I would also consider having it delivered and doing the installation myself if the best deals and equipment are far away. Any suggestions?
You are describing recalibrations. With the latest patch, the car will nurse a marginal battery for a very long time with pretty significant hit to mpg due to the forced regens.

Your cheapest route is Dorman. They bought ReInvolt and are mass marketing them through NAPA, other shops and resellers, but there are some IMA pack related codes that they won't warranty on the HCH1. P1449 is one of the most common IMA pack failure codes. Personally, I would never install a Dorman in either of my '06 HCH2.

IMHO, you have two legitimate options, but you'll have to do the work yourself unless they can recommend a shop in your area:

http://www.bumblebeebatteries.com

http://www.hybridrevolt.com

Last edited by S Keith; 06-25-2015 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

S Keith, why not at least mention grid charging? also didn't realize you had the 06 too.. mine's an 06, loving it so far lol

Old 07-09-2015, 03:10 PM

He wanted to replace them, and I've posted about grid charging dozens of times. Sometimes, I don't feel like repeating myself, or I'm in a hurry.

Honestly, with 170K and such ****-poor performance, he probably needs a new battery.

Steve

Old 07-09-2015, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
He wanted to replace them, and I've posted about grid charging dozens of times. Sometimes, I don't feel like repeating myself, or I'm in a hurry.

Honestly, with 170K and such ****-poor performance, he probably needs a new battery.

Steve
Fair enough about repeating yourself lol... Mine's at 250k, really hope I don't need to replace the battery, was hoping grid-charging would help it :/ Too bad I don't know if/when the battery was replaced

Old 07-09-2015, 05:42 PM

I'd bet a nut (not that anyone would want to win that bet any more than I would want to lose it) that you're not on your first battery... maybe 2nd or even 3rd.

GC is always worth a try, particularly if you're willing to go DIY.