Negative Camber problem on 2006 HCH...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Negative Camber problem on 2006 HCH...

Here's a link to an older TSB : http://showcase.netins.net/web/reptiles/stuff/Bulletin(VIII-10-07).pdf

Here's a newer one, beware the spam links.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qz71y9

Old 02-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the documents. A question that is bothering me--Honda has not done a recall, yet, they admit there is a problem as they produced new replacement control arms with the correct camber, and, published the TSB.
Why is it a judgement call for a dealer whether to install the new part or not?
This is not a situation where the part "wears out," as that is not the diagnosis on the TSB. So miles and time do not matter. The original part has the wrong specifications. Do you know if the 2008 Civics are fitted with the new arms? Thanks again.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peterg
Do you know if the 2008 Civics are fitted with the new arms? Thanks again.
Within the new TSB there is a reference to a tell-tale "C" painted on the correct upper control arms. I just peered under my '08 and could not find a painted "C" on the control arm. So I'm guessing that '08 models have the same old control arms. Anybody with an '08 know the definitive answer?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast

On a straight stretch of road, over 40 mph: does the passenger seat vibrate, the rear tires sing and are noisy, and, on that same stretch of road if you take your hands off the wheel, does it feel like the car is not settling down but searching for the steady path?

Check the tires. Are the edges of your tires looking more worn than the rest (on the rear, where there is no steering wear)?

The proof of the pudding is in the driving. Let us know your what's going on with your 2008.

I still do not understand (though I'm starting to get it) if Honda Corp. goes to the trouble of redesigning an essential part of the suspension, producing it, and sending out a TSB that exactly states what the complaint is from the customer, why the American Dealers will not just go ahead and replace the part? By the way, the earlier the tires are reported, the more pro-rated compensation we receive for new ones.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Got a bit of a snow fall last night, the roads were patchy with some covered sections.

The car drove alot better then before the service work, but still does not feel "normal".

It tends to wander (slowly...not like before where the rear end would jump all over the place). This time it appears to be caused by changes in acceleration...almost like its something with the transmission - torque steering almost. Again, only on icy sections.

Still, its alot better then before.

I wonder if they did very much climate testing with this car heh.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ontario07Civic
Here's a link to an older TSB : http://showcase.netins.net/web/reptiles/stuff/Bulletin(VIII-10-07).pdf

Here's a newer one, beware the spam links.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/qz71y9
Thanks for those. The first one is not for the hybrid, but the second will help a lot.

Can I go get this fixed, even if my tires are not worn down?

Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Enthusiast

For all '08 HCHII owners,
I scheduled an appointment to get my alignment checked and to determine if the TSB applied to 08 Civics as well. No dice on the TSB,, dealer said only 06-07. They did check the alignment and found the rear to be right at - 2.0 degrees camber on both sides.

Negative 2 degrees on rear camber still sounds excessive even though the tech said is was within spec. For those with '06-'07 models, what was your rear camber before replacement with the updated control arms?

Old 03-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Enthusiast

Update--I went into great detail about this problem with the sales and service department at Grand Blanc Honda here in Michigan. They researched the matter. Here is the short and long of it:
Honda Japan made changes in the upper rear control arms in its Civic cars produced starting in January, 2008, to correct excessive negative camber. The service bulletin
08-001 is dated February, 8, 2008 (originally the last week of January). All Civics produced prior to January of 2008 (06 and 07) year appear to have the old (now wrong) upper rear control arms. Old Part#52390 (left) #52400 (right); NEW PART #04523 (both).

Honda has painted a large, capital "C" on the NEW Correct arms. If you cannot see the large white "C" you probably have the OLD bad arms. Most dealer s can not tell you when exactly the car was produced. It takes some research. Any tech, however, once under the car, can determine whether the "C" is there. So can you. From behind, look right past the strut at the horizontal arm.

The NEW arms price out at $175 retail, including the three bolts per side. That's retail, both sides. Your Honda Service should replace them for free under Warranty. Also, your Honda dealer is supposed to work out a deal with Tire Rack concerning ruined tires per the separate tire warranty with Dunlap or Bridgestone. Tire Rack reviews have only ONE good review about the Dunlaps, so try to get Brdigestones.

Now, the bad news. Only one Honda dealer in my area cared to deal with this at all. The rest did the usual run around and would NOT honor the warranty. It was pitiful. They stink. The Japanese fix a problem; the Americans balk at honoring the fix. Not good.

I wonder--if the camber is now set so the tires roll more freely as they are not at bad angles to the ground, will this actually improve gas mileage even further? Time will tell.

I will try to post a picture of the part with the capital "C" on a 2008.

--Peterg

Old 03-05-2008, 01:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

Looks like the rear upper arms are $50 each side from Majestic honda online. I guess for folks without a warrantee this is cheaper than paying full dealer price.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast

Tell them you are a a driveway mechanic, doing it yourself. They might give it to you cheaper.

It is amazing how much smoother the car drives with the new arms.

And a lot more fun.

By the way, Honda Corp. just received Consumer Reports highest rating as a company, all around, based on a host of data gathered from folks like us. What about rating the dealers?

--Peterg

Quick Reply: Negative Camber problem on 2006 HCH...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands