New HCH bests Prius in Honda road tests

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New HCH bests Prius in Honda road tests

Originally Posted by xcel
I am not saying the average untrained driver can or will do this (we know they will not) but you, HelterSkelter683, and any other hypermiler here at GH that pushes tanks would not settle for 40 - 45 mpg around town in a Prius II when 65 + is only a few accelerator pedal maneuvers away. This is why I have to believe the Honda engineers or techs who drove the Prius II for their own testing would not have optimized her in their own, quasi city test(s).
Sure, but there's a difference between what the car is capable of and what an "average" driver will see. I assume that the Honda testers drove the HCH-II and the Prius-II with the same driving style (enough to make a hypermiler cringe) so the test would be apples to apples. Maybe their point was that if you throw the average driver with no hybrid experience and no knowledge of how to drive for best FE into both cars, the HCH-II wins out, even in deep city conditions.

The fact that the Prius has a higher potential in deep city than the HCH only matters to people willing to change their driving habits, which I fear is a small minority

Originally Posted by xcel
As of this writing, I do not think Honda has a shot at the FE crown in a deep inner city environment no matter if it’s the Insight, the HCH-I or HCH-II.
Maybe if there are two crowns, "Best FE for Average Driver" and "Best FE for Hypermiler Driver", the HCH can at least win one of them

Old 11-28-2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
I can't help but wonder if it were Toyota's staff doing the testing would it be different?
I'm sure it would be, and they wouldn't even need to drive the Prius any differently than the HCH. I'd guess that in 'average' driving (the way most people drive), the HCH would win, while with 'careful' driving (in both cars), the Prius would win.

The question then is, are we ready as a nation to change the way we drive so that we can take full advantage of the new technology?

Old 11-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi NASAgineer:
Originally Posted by NASAgineer
(enough to make a hypermiler cringe)
___I couldn’t have said that any better myself

Maybe their point was that if you throw the average driver with no hybrid experience and no knowledge of how to drive for best FE into both cars, the HCH-II wins out, even in deep city conditions.
___Maybe more of a mindset of who purchases the Prius II vs. who purchases the HCH-II? I do not see many RXh or HH members here really pushing the envelope like I know they could. I see a ton of Escape HEV pilots doing so and the results speak for themselves. I have a sneaky suspicion that the average Prius II driver is a bit less in tune with their car (average Prius II driver, not the technical fringe like most of us here), then the average HCH-I or II driver? Toyota sells more Camry’s but the Accord is a better handling and better overall automobile imho as well as the opinions of C&D, MT, AW, A, CR’s, Edmunds, … Toyota sells many more Prius II’s at a much higher premium with nicer attributes in some regards but in the twisties, I would take the HCH any day of the week. Just maybe the average HCH’er is more in tune with his/or her car then the average Prius II driver and because of this, receives better FE no matter where it is driven? Just a small conspiracy theory of mine
The fact that the Prius has a higher potential in deep city than the HCH only matters to people willing to change their driving habits, which I fear is a small minority
___As stated previously, definitely a fact!

Maybe if there are two crowns, "Best FE for Average Driver" and "Best FE for Hypermiler Driver", the HCH can at least win one of them
___The Insight 5-speed would probably win both Between the HCH-I /II and Prius II, the Prius II would get my vote for inner city champ and the HCH-I/II would get my vote for highway champ irregardless if a hypermiler owned it or not! Give Honda just one more iteration of IMA and look out … Give Toyota just one more iteration of HSD and look out! We have a lot to look forward too, don’t we …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Last edited by xcel; 11-28-2005 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:00 PM
G.H. Contributor
Lightbulb Re: New HCH bests Prius in Honda road tests

Man I just (Really-Hate-It) when I have made a Big Mistake, so I think that when one does they just need to Revamp and move on.

I think I may just (Cancel) the 2006 HCH ll after reading this Thread and what xcel has "Thankfully" pointed out about the two Hybrids here and go with the (As-Xcel-Has-Pointed-Out) (TOYOTA PRIUS ll).

It must be the "Much-Superior" Hybrid and I trust his judgement in this matter.

Thank-Goodness I still have time to make this "Change" before it's too Late.

This was Too Close:

Terry

Old 11-28-2005, 07:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Tigerhonaker:

___You did not make a mistake in the least! As active and as interested in multiple topics as you are here at GH, the HCH-II will be the perfect automobile for you! I will try and put it anther way … The HCH is a drivers hybrid; the Prius II is an everyman’s hybrid. I think you belong to the first group

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Old 11-28-2005, 07:26 PM

I don't think anyone pointed this out yet, but right now in the greencarjournal database, the HCH II and Prius II are tied at 48 mpg real-world driving data (with the MT HCH I). Granted, there's only 10 cars contributing to the HCH II data, but there you have it.

Not enough of an incentive for me to give up my '04 HCH MT for either, not when it still only has 15k on it.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Is it just me, or does having Honda be the judge seem completely biased?

I mean, that's like asking Coca-Cola inc. whether they like Coke or Pepsi better.

Second, the rivalry between the two is kind of silly.. we hybrid drivers are supposed to be united right? Whether you drive an HCH or a Prius you are doing the right thing for the environment.

Originally Posted by lars-ss
http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...dd28honda.html

PS
This is not a Prius Bash by any stretch - just interesting to report, since the Prius has been the leader up to now...

Old 11-28-2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by tbaleno
Maybe honda knew what they were doing when they limited the ice off EV mode to between about 10 and 30 mph. Maybe they figured the ICE was more efficient at that speed then putting in a bigger motor and have to motor accelerate at the low speed?
the ev mode works even at 65 mph, i can attest to that

Old 11-28-2005, 10:46 PM

Now that throws a spin on things. Forget lean burn when you can go into ev at 65!

Old 11-28-2005, 10:48 PM

As for honda doing their own testing, I think we all agree that the results are presented in such a way that would make honda come out on top. Toyota would have done the same. This reminds me of the "pepsi challange" of yesteryear. I think during that time pepsi actualy sold more than coke. I think it will be enough to get people looking at the civic now. I suspect Honda is going to sell a bunch this year with all the press about them.

Quick Reply: New HCH bests Prius in Honda road tests

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands