Oil life still at 100% after the first 700 miles..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Enthusiast
Default Oil life still at 100% after the first 700 miles..?

I have put about 700 miles so far on my new 06 hch , and the oil life still reads 100%..normal..?
Thanks..

Old 02-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Default Re: Oil life still at 100% after the first 700 miles..?

I've heard people with like 4000 miles and it shows 70%

Old 02-02-2006, 04:53 PM
YA RLY.

I'm somewhere over 1000 miles and I have 90%.

Old 02-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Active Enthusiast

I got 2k and shows 80% ... it goes in 10 decrements, right? First oil has to be changed at 5k or so, right?

Now, I have a big q here. How do I know what oil the ppl are putting in? I understand I have to use a certain ol 0w20 or so.

any hints/experience with this?

Old 02-02-2006, 09:53 PM
Rarely post anything

Well, I actually saw when mine changed from 100% to 90% today - at about 750mi (I cycle through the 5 displays a few times throughout the day, since I can't see everything at a glance).

If we use a linear reduction scale, that would put me at about 7500mi to 0%. But I have the feeling it won't be linear, but logarithmic.

As an experiment, it might be useful to others to keep this thread open and post when your OLM changes and at what mileage. Also the type of driving you do and your climate. We can then get an idea of how 'smart' that OLM really is.

According to the new 'maintenance minder', there is no set mileage indicator on when to change your oil (or anything else). Only change when the OLM says to (it'll start barking at 15%). However, if you think I'm going to leave that factory break-in oil in for that long, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you

Based on what I saw from the Accord Hybrid, and if the Civic follows the same pattern, I'm going to change out the OEM at about 1700, as that's when the first initial break-in will occur. I'll replace at that first oil change with the Honda 0W-20, because it's got just about the highest amount of Molybdenum disulfide in it, relative to most other commercially available brands. That's the 'special' ingredient in the break-in oil that Honda always refers to. It also doesn't help that right now, I can't find 0W-20 anywhere else but at the dealer.

After the oil's been changed, I'm going to put in about 3 oz of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment - it will raise the Moly level back to just about the 500+ ppm that the factory break-in oil has - and then track the OLM and change out at 15% life remaining. Then have that oil analyzed for wear to see how the OLM does, relative to a lab analysis.

The oil for the 3rd change will be Mobil 1 0W-20, as a synoil reduces friction and gives slightly better mileage. I'll continue with that until something better comes along, but so far, nothing has.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue

Based on what I saw from the Accord Hybrid, and if the Civic follows the same pattern, I'm going to change out the OEM at about 1700, as that's when the first initial break-in will occur. I'll replace at that first oil change with the Honda 0W-20, because it's got just about the highest amount of Molybdenum disulfide in it, relative to most other commercially available brands. That's the 'special' ingredient in the break-in oil that Honda always refers to. It also doesn't help that right now, I can't find 0W-20 anywhere else but at the dealer.

After the oil's been changed, I'm going to put in about 3 oz of Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment - it will raise the Moly level back to just about the 500+ ppm that the factory break-in oil has - and then track the OLM and change out at 15% life remaining. Then have that oil analyzed for wear to see how the OLM does, relative to a lab analysis.

The oil for the 3rd change will be Mobil 1 0W-20, as a synoil reduces friction and gives slightly better mileage. I'll continue with that until something better comes along, but so far, nothing has.
And why, might I ask, would you do all that?

I bought a new car 11 years ago and sold it recently with 170,000 miles. Did the regular oil changes. Never even considered a lab analysis of the oil. And it ran like a champ to the day I sold it.

So why jump through hoops with the oil changes?

Old 02-03-2006, 04:09 AM
PCK
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by masgian
I got 2k and shows 80% ... it goes in 10 decrements, right? First oil has to be changed at 5k or so, right?

Now, I have a big q here. How do I know what oil the ppl are putting in? I understand I have to use a certain ol 0w20 or so.

any hints/experience with this?
I have the same results, mine went to 90% at 1000 miles and 80% at close to
2000 miles. The dealer told me to change oil around 15%, I haven't seen a 5%
increment unless that will occur latter in the oil life.

Also my temps have run between 70 & 80 and 70% of my driving
is hway between 45 & 65mph with 30% slower bumper to bumper traffic.

Last edited by PCK; 02-03-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:34 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by GreenAndBlue
Well, I actually saw when mine changed from 100% to 90% today - at about 750mi (I cycle through the 5 displays a few times throughout the day, since I can't see everything at a glance).

If we use a linear reduction scale, that would put me at about 7500mi to 0%. But I have the feeling it won't be linear, but logarithmic.

As an experiment, it might be useful to others to keep this thread open and post when your OLM changes and at what mileage. Also the type of driving you do and your climate. We can then get an idea of how 'smart' that OLM really is.

According to the new 'maintenance minder', there is no set mileage indicator on when to change your oil (or anything else). Only change when the OLM says to (it'll start barking at 15%). However, if you think I'm going to leave that factory break-in oil in for that long, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you

Have you been to BobIsTheOilGuy.com recently?

Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 AM
Rarely post anything

Sledge - Well, that depends on 'recently'... not in the past few weeks, anyway. But I guess it's obvious that I do some research there, eh ?

PCK - per the manual, the OLM will decrease in 10% increments until 20%. It will then decrease 5% at a time from there, all along the way showing the applicable displays when the car is started. If you should be especially inattentive, the OLM will start displaying 'negative mileage'...I wouldn't want to have to pursue a warranty claim with Torrance under those circumstances! But then, I wouldn't expect to, with a Honda engine - their powerplant expertise is a primary consideration when I purchase a car.

Last edited by GreenAndBlue; 02-03-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:38 AM
YA RLY.

I also do a bit of research there. I just got a container of FP60. If I like what I see, I'll try some LC20 next

Quick Reply: Oil life still at 100% after the first 700 miles..?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands