Oil life still at 100% after the first 700 miles..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Rarely post anything
Default Re: Oil life still at 100% after the first 700 miles..?

Originally Posted by ElanC
And why, might I ask, would you do all that?
Well, since you asked...

a. Because I want the driveline (engine, transmission, IMA system) to last as long as possible, using the best available knowledge, research and advice that I have at my disposal. That's why I spend time here and on other sites, and consult with knowledgeable resources to the best of my ability in real-life.

b. Because the manufacturer's guidelines are written for a '90th percentile' end-user; they could specify more, but very few owners would take the trouble to read it, much less follow what it says, and correctly. However, the guidelines as written will ensure > 99% of users will not have a mechanical reliability issue with their engine while they own the car.

c. Because I consider myself to be an educated resource who knows the difference between actions that have the potential to enhance longevity and performance of a vehicle's driveline , and those that are either detrimental to same, or are ineffectual.

d. Because I purchased a car built to be as fuel-efficient as possible, and I want to gain every advantage that I can from an engineering / maintenance standpoint in order to at a minimum, achieve, and hopefully, surpass the rated fuel economy measurement by as great a margin as possible.

e. Because I plan on keeping the car until a measurably better alternative comes along, with regard to either the rated FE or the fuel used to propel the vehicle. Based on what I've seen in the past 20+ years, and having a reasonable understanding how far off in the horizon alternatives will be available, that could be a very long time.

f. Because I live in a seasonal climate with temps between -10F and +100F, that has a goodly amount of precipitation in various forms, and must contend with that as a factor in the FE I will attain with the car, as well as the longevity of the powerplant.

g. Because the engine is only 1.3L - a smallish size that would be very marginal from an ICE-only standpoint. As smaller engines work harder on average to deliver the same power output, a bit more care with them can pay dividends.

h. Because I take an interest in and have a curiosity about things mechanical, and desire to have them operate on an optimized basis

i. Because I have the means and the time to do so, and choose to

Originally Posted by ElanC
I bought a new car 11 years ago and sold it recently with 170,000 miles. Did the regular oil changes. Never even considered a lab analysis of the oil. And it ran like a champ to the day I sold it.

So why jump through hoops with the oil changes?
Because I want to eliminate the excess particles that develop in the early part of engine break-in, so that they don't prove detrimental from a wear standpoint. However, I want to retain the benefit of having the anti-wear additive that the manufacturer specifies to its lubrication supplier for the factory crankcase fill. So I want the best of both worlds, and now I have the knowledge on how to attain that.