Paint & Fabric Protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Paint & Fabric Protection

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
I was wondering about the Claybar. Do you think I still need that given that my car is brand new? I don't have bugs, tar, or any of the other things the Claybar is supposed to remove.
I wondered the same thing and was informed that it's best to start fresh--a fully 'prepped' surface. Particulants including brake dust, rail dust, and other contaminants--even from the factory or in transit do make it to the paint.

It should be quick and definitely worthwhile!!!

Old 11-30-2005, 10:51 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here's a question: The dealer I spoke with recommended waxing only twice a yeah. He mentioned that his $500 protection addon was the best way to go and that waxing actually damages the clear coat over time. Is something fishy here?

Stevejust: VOC's in new cars virtually disappear over the first two months. That's why new car smell never lasts. Most car care products (with a few exceptions of course) are indeed non-toxic... Unless of course you free-base them, then most anything is toxic.

Oh yeah, about 3M's Scotch Guard...

http://www.ewg.org/reports/pfcworld/...pfoa_human.pdf

Rest assured the men in that study were exposed to significantly higher amounts of PFOA.

I'm not part of this forum to be "green" as the fanatics use the term. The only green I'm concerned with is what stays in my wallet after a visit to the petrol station.

Last edited by biotech_chris; 11-30-2005 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention something.
Old 12-01-2005, 01:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

For the interior I think the number one thing to do is keep it clean, vaccum regularly the seats and carpet. Next, scotchguard is good product and is essentially what the dealer is using and charging hundreds for. Re-treat maybe once a year. Really can help with spills.

For the exterior, Zaino is the best protection and best look. It's remarkable stuff. If you really want to ward off chips, do the 3M film.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NASAgineer
I was wondering about the Claybar. Do you think I still need that given that my car is brand new? I don't have bugs, tar, or any of the other things the Claybar is supposed to remove.
YES. We bought a 2004 Lexus RX330 and the dealer "prep'd" the car before delivery. The car was nice and shinny, and, I thought then, pretty silky. I then bought the Zaino kit, and did the application with Claybar. I now have a NEW standard when it comes to the "silky" paint feel. Its hard to describe unless you actually compare the before and after look and feel. I also attended a NEW car show shortly after my Claybar/Zaino application, and ALL of the cars at the show didn't have as "silky" of a feel compared with the RX330 after Claybar/Zaino.

Since, my first Claybar application, I've only re-applied the Zaino polish, and that "silky" feel has somewhat diminished. When the weather gets better, I'm definately going to Claybar the car again.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:36 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biotech_chris
Stevejust: VOC's in new cars virtually disappear over the first two months. That's why new car smell never lasts. Most car care products (with a few exceptions of course) are indeed non-toxic... Unless of course you free-base them, then most anything is toxic.

Oh yeah, about 3M's Scotch Guard...

http://www.ewg.org/reports/pfcworld/...pfoa_human.pdf

Rest assured the men in that study were exposed to significantly higher amounts of PFOA.

I'm not part of this forum to be "green" as the fanatics use the term. The only green I'm concerned with is what stays in my wallet after a visit to the petrol station.
Agreed on VOCs diminishing over time... never said otherwise. What I said was that a new car already has enough VOCs off gassing, why add more? Scotchguard does not eventually "leave," though it may off-gas less over time. And you can rest assured that your scotchguard treated car isn't the only place you'd be exposed to PFOA, either. In my book reducing the accumulation of things like PFOS and PFOA in your body is smarter than paying to put it there. But seeing as this dialogue is being ignored, I guess I'll try to make this the last time I try to point it out.

Old 12-02-2005, 08:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've always said no to any dealer add ons.
I've never used any post-sale protective anything, except armorall.
I've never even waxed my cars.
I am also very anti-extra-products.
Cancer rates are rising and they don't know why.
I'm 49 years old and have always bought Honda or Toyota.

After 10 years my cars still look like new.
Of course they sleep in my garage and are garaged at work also so they get very little sun.
Also I'm in Southern California so there is no salt damage from snowy roads.
I leave a ton of space in front of me when I drive so have no problem with pebble chips.

Just another perspective on how to preserve a car.

YMMV

Last edited by kenny; 12-02-2005 at 09:00 AM.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:19 AM

Never even waxed your cars? To each their own, and I'm not gonna tell anyone how to keep their cars, but never waxing a car is indisputably bad for the paint....the wax/polish protects the clear coat and helps preserve the paint...

Seen those cars around with the white oxidation on the hood/roof/trunk? Those are the people who never wax their cars, and mostly never wash them either.

It might work fine for Kenny, but speaking as a generalization, leaving a car unwaxed is not a good basic car care practice.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, so waxing is good and VOC's are bad .

What about the bunk my dealer gives me about waxing harming the clear-coat over time?

Old 12-02-2005, 10:00 AM

Here's a good page which has some myth-busting info about car waxing:

http://www.autodayspa.com/facts&myths.htm
My vehicle has a clear coat. Is waxing necessary?

Of course! Today's high-solid clear coat finishes are the result of new laws for paint solvents and emissions created by the EPA in 1983. The new paint systems are actually softer and less durable than the low-solid single stage finishes applied years ago. A wax acts as a sacrificial layer of protection for the vulnerable finish of your vehicle. Environmental contaminants must eat through the wax before getting to the clear coat.

I just bought a new car. How long should I wait before having wax applied?

Today's factory finishes are fully cured when they leave the factory. Despite what your dealer may have told you, it is safe (and recommended) to apply wax 21 days after you acquire your new vehicle. If your vehicle has been completely or partially refinished by a body shop, it is recommended to wait 60 days before applying wax.

Old 12-02-2005, 11:38 AM

If anyone is interested I did an article on washing a car:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/learn/ar...d-vehicle.html

Here's another product to consider:
Meguiars Clear Coat Paste Car Wax
and
Meguiars Quick Mist & Wipe Detailer

Both can be had at Walmart for about $20

I personally don't have any pics to share but here are a couple posted earlier this year by PSYSHACK used on his Accord:
http://psyshack.com/bead1.jpg
http://psyshack.com/granny1.jpg

I used the paste wax for a single application last May, and 3/4 of a single can did both our vehicles- the HCH and our Grand Caravan.
I used the quick detailer 2-3x a week and after 7 months it still beads up like Psyshacks Accord.
It wipes on & off really easily just like drying.

The Grand Caravan hasn't had any of the quick detailer and still beads up nicely, but not as well as the HCH.

I've just ran out of the quick detailer so I've bought the two products again and hope to find the time this weekend for application.

Dried bugs are 100% easier to get off the forward surfaces where they collect and a garden hose washes drastically more dirt off between washing than otherwise.

Yep, I'm sold on Meguiar's.

Quick Reply: Paint & Fabric Protection

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands