Pay for installation on accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Enthusiast
Default Pay for installation on accessories?

We're thinking of getting a Civic Hybrid as our first new car purchase. Is it typical to pay for installation when you purchase accessories through a dealership along with a new car? Does it depend on the accessory?

Old 01-17-2006, 11:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Pay for installation on accessories?

Originally Posted by wallyworld
We're thinking of getting a Civic Hybrid as our first new car purchase. Is it typical to pay for installation when you purchase accessories through a dealership along with a new car? Does it depend on the accessory?
Yes, it's typical to pay for installation. The extreme example is the hundreds of dollars they charge for installing the XM radio on the HCH. You'd even pay for installation of floor mats if you asked the dealer to install them for you, unless the dealer was in a generous mood.

Old 01-18-2006, 12:30 AM
Active Enthusiast

do it yourself!

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic06.html

get it for cheaper than the dealer and use the instructions to do it yourself... it's not too hard!

Old 01-18-2006, 01:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

try to haggle ... they are making a decent sized profit on each accessory. You pay them to do it, it gets included in the warranty and extended warranty if you get one. The ones they may charge you for anyway are the XM and mirror upgrade. These require taking your car apart to some extent. Check the site that was posted and look at the instructions. If you don't care if it is added to the warranty, then not only do you save on installation costs, but also the dealer profit on each item. Thier prices are rather nice at handa-accessories.com I bought mine used so I will have to put the accessories they didn't get on myself. I might be getting a new one anyway around late December of this year.

I am sure you will love it, I love mine and the new models are much much better. You will be pleased whatever you decide to do with the accessories. Take care and have fun!!!

Old 01-18-2006, 04:48 AM
YA RLY.

Originally Posted by Sheniferous
do it yourself!

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic06.html

get it for cheaper than the dealer and use the instructions to do it yourself... it's not too hard!
http://www.collegehillshonda.com is also a good place.

Your dealer may have specials. When I took delivery of my car two weeks ago, the parts department gave me 10% off on any part or accessory for the next 90 days. I'll probably get the leather steering wheel cover.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

Here is another good place for accessories.

http://www.hondacuraworld.com/

Old 01-18-2006, 05:55 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I had an Ipod adapter installed on my (gulp) SUV 2 weeks ago at Best Buy and it cost me 50.00. I thought it was a fair price to pay as I'm not into taking the dash apart.Shop around.kevin

Old 01-18-2006, 07:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Everything, and I mean everything, is negotiable.

Dealers won't tell you that.

If they insist on charging for labor let them have their way, as long as they lower the sale price by that amount.

Take up as much time as possible during the negotiations.
Be comfortable with silence and make it clear you are ready to walk.

Think of it as an actor playing a part.
It is not ME being a jerk; it is required by the plot to have a happy ending.
It is all a game you play.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by texashchman
I had an Ipod adapter installed on my (gulp) SUV 2 weeks ago at Best Buy and it cost me 50.00. I thought it was a fair price to pay as I'm not into taking the dash apart.Shop around.kevin
Be careful with these places. I know someone who took in an RX-7 to Circuit City, they broke a dash piece and WOULD NOT replace it. They cosnider thier work at your own risk. If they say they will replace it something if they break it, get it in writing, I am sure the Honda dealer would replace any broken pieces without any problems or resistance, most likely without you ever knowing. Just be careful and know the fine print. I will do most of the stuff myself, but if I think there is a chance of me breaking something, or it is too much work, I will get them to take care of it while negotiating the price as low as I can get it.

Old 01-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Be careful - Honda charged me installation on floor mats. Yes, floor mats. Some things I install myself if it's easy (mud guards, leather wrap on wheel, etc.). However I had to buy them seperately from the car at the parts department. Seems like whatever accessory I ordered and financed with the car, they charged installation.

Quick Reply: Pay for installation on accessories?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands