Press Release: K&N Air Filter for 03-05 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Press Release: K&N Air Filter for 03-05 HCH

Originally Posted by privatejoker
K&N uses oil and cotton to catch the dust/dirt particles, when air is sucked through the filter, it is deposited on a little piece of wire that measures incoming air. This causes an inaccurate sensor voltage. Any vehicle that has a maf after the filter should oil their filter very sparingly, use electrical contact cleaner on their maf filament, or just reconsider their filter type. For carbs or speed density systems, they're great. I've had them on three vehicles.
What is the out come of inaccurate sensor voltage? How does it cause driveability problems? Does it inaccuratly retard the timing or someing?

Old 03-28-2006, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Adam_HybridCivic
What do you mean by driveability problems with oil deposits on the Mass Air Flow sensor?

I have had numerous vehicles with K&N Air Filters/ FIPK and MAF and I have never had any driveability problems. In fact they have produced more power and some increased FE depending on the vehicle! My HCH is the first vehicle that I do not have at least a K&N filter because they don't make one for the '06 yet.Also, I have found that the K&N lasts longer in between washes, rather then having to replace. Meaning for example, with a paper air filter I might have to replace every 15,000 whereas with the K&N only 30,000 miles in between washes. I know there is a lot of hype out there for or against K&N filters or anyother type of performance products and the choice is yours. I just like to share the beneifts that I have recieved from continious use of a product.
Look at the site that I posted testing the K&N and other air filters. They concluded that the K&N clogged up and became more restrictive fairly fast, just the opposite of your 30,000K&N vs 15,000 for paper.

As for driveability, if the MAF think there is more or less air flow it will result in possibly a lean or rich situation, not necessarily noticed while driving.

Last edited by worthywads; 03-28-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Here's how it works; oil deposits on maf filament, maf retains more heat, computer sees less air coming in than actually is, lean condition, eventually causing stalls.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by privatejoker
Here's how it works; oil deposits on maf filament, maf retains more heat, computer sees less air coming in than actually is, lean condition, eventually causing stalls.
Thanks! I figured it was along those lines, but I have never heard of that or experienced that before. Good to know.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

If you over-oil the filter, yes it can collect on the maf. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of cars that have a maf-based intake system that run fine with K&N filters. It all depends on the person.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JJanney
If you over-oil the filter, yes it can collect on the maf. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of cars that have a maf-based intake system that run fine with K&N filters. It all depends on the person.
Your right. It all has to do with over oiling. Many people think that the more oil you put on, the better it works. WRONG! Actually, the dirty the filter gets, the better it works. I have a K&N on every vehicle I own. They all run perfect. There's not any noticable increase in horsepower or FE, but it's nice not having to change the filter.

Howard

Old 03-30-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by hweldon
Your right. It all has to do with over oiling. Many people think that the more oil you put on, the better it works. WRONG! Actually, the dirty the filter gets, the better it works. I have a K&N on every vehicle I own. They all run perfect. There's not any noticable increase in horsepower or FE, but it's nice not having to change the filter.

Howard
I guess I have never had a problem because I have never over oiled. Just enough. Howard, your right you won't see much if any increase from the filter alone. The greatest benefit comes from when you install the FIPK or performance intake.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler

One more article to consider . . .

If keeping dust from your engine is the goal, a paper filter such as an AC Delco will provide far superior filtering performance, but you'll pay a price in airflow. If WOT performance is most important, the K&N filter used in this test provided about 50% less restriction to airflow, with the 1.6" of H20 difference in air pressure drop at 350 CFM making for a minimal difference (~0.5%) in power at this flow rate. The K&N and UNI filters were far less efficient at trapping dust, and note that they lose their flow advantage after filtering about 180 grams of dust.
http://www.autoblog.com/2005/09/07/h...-filters-work/

I don't see why hybrid owners would want or need a K&N drop-in filter, other than the ability to reuse the element instead of throwing a paper filter away every few thousand miles, which appeals to the environmental side that many of us have.

Drop-in filters make almost no difference in horsepower over the stock paper filters. Its the conical/air box replacement filter types that make significant horsepower gains. To me, the possibility of increased dust/filter oil getting into the engine negates the benefit of reusability. What other benefits could a K&N filter possibly have?

Old 03-31-2006, 05:49 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

Understood and thanks for the link. I've had K&N's on about 10 of my cars and my father has had them on about 4 of his, neither have ever had a speck of problems. It's just what has already been mentioned. Sooo many people over oil them. I'm fanatical about MX on my vehicles so I doubt I'll be having any problems.

Thanks again for that link. The one positive thing I have going for me is the road I live on isn't well traveled. Normally people are stuck behind me as the hicks feel that the faster you go, the safer you are.

Originally Posted by worthywads
The K&N would be my last choice in a dusty area, you'll need to clean it very frequently and it will allow lots of dirt into your engine. Here's some pretty good "independent" documentation that K&Ns a bad choice.

http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm

Might be worth it if there was some FE benefit, but, as you said, there's not.