Reboot

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Enthusiast
Default Reboot

Okay i have read alot on the boards but one thing escapes me.

What exactly is a reboot?
When is it used?
What do you do?
Any info would be great.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:39 PM
Default Re: Reboot

click on the glossary link.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Running the engine (Internal Combustion Engine = ICE) while going down hill or while coming to a stop wastes gas. A "reboot" shuts the ICE off when it is not needed kinda like auto-stop does. The difference is that auto-stop happens at slow speeds after the car checks some things for safety. A reboot is a manual operation so the safety of the operation is up to you. You will lose Power Brakes after a few stop attempts which could be dangerous. Also the Power Steering will go out for a sec but it comes back because it is electric.

Reboots are best done in light to zero traffic on downhills or when slowing down before a stop or turn. Do not reboot unless you are fully aware of the safety issues involved!!!

Old 08-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Lakedude - were there some additional constraints on starting the car again at certain speeds? I remember the thread where this was being discussed, but can't recall if there were any conclusions. I recall 40 MPH being discussed as a threshold.

BTW - I've tried this, and frankly don't like it. I'll stop the ICE in a drive through or when traffic is at a dead stop, but the few attemts at doing this down a hill made me very uncomfortable. I prefer now to use neutral - that is, unless my batteries need a charge.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

The CVT has some speed issues with a reboot because you never know what "gear" it has decided to put itself in. There are no such issues with a manual tranny so long as you pick the correct gear for the speed you are going. ie don't slam it in 1st going 60 mph!!! If you are not comfortable with the reboot idea don't do it!

Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I've stopped "push-starting" my HCH MT after a reboot, because no matter what speed or what gear I let the clutch out at, it feels like I'm hurting my drivetrain. The method I use now is as follows: when I need the ICE to start up again, I turn the ignition from ON to START just like I would when starting the car in my garage. Next, I push in the clutch and engage the gear appropriate to the speed I'm travelling at, depress the accelerator to rev the ICE up to the approximate RPM for that speed/gear ratio, and let out the clutch.

This method requires more steps and skill than simply letting out the clutch and "push-starting" a 0 RPM ICE, but my gut instinct tells me it's way less wear and tear on my drivetrain.

In case it's not obvious, I'll explain what I mean by "push-starting". You can often start a vehicle with a manual tranny by getting people to push it, or letting it roll down a hill in neutral, and once it's gained enough momentum, popping the clutch in 1st gear. This will get the ICE running even if the battery is dead. Push-starting at 3mph in 1st gear because you have no other alternative is one thing... doing it at relatively high speeds because you're trying to eek out another .3 or .4 mpg to brag about is another

Old 08-20-2005, 09:55 PM

Just a note from a CVT driver. I have had no issues putting my car in gear at speeds in excess of 40 mph. The rpms just jump from 700 to 1200 and for me there isn't any jerking or lurching. Unlike with a MT, the cvt doesn't have a direct correlation between gear and rpm. So for me it seems shifting from neutral to drive is about the same as what happens when I put my foot off the gas after having it off for a few seconds. I'm sure if I had my foot on the gas while I shifted from neutral to drive it would be a different story but I don't put my foot on the gas until after I shifted into drive and the rpms settle.

Old 08-20-2005, 11:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tbaleno
I'm sure if I had my foot on the gas while I shifted from neutral to drive it would be a different story but I don't put my foot on the gas until after I shifted into drive and the rpms settle.
Same here; can't be too safe in a CVT and I'd rather ensure the ICE is running smoothly to its newly adjusted rate before I switch its plane.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Call me stupid if you want, but I can't restart my car once I turn it off at high speeds. Is it possible to turn the car off and turn it back on above zero MPH? That's where I'm confused and slow. I hope this makes sense.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:08 AM

You have to shift into neutral to turn it back on.

Quick Reply: Reboot

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands