?'s for 2006+ HCH Owners. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast
Question ?'s for 2006+ HCH Owners. PLEASE HELP!!!

Hello all, my name is John. I am about 4 days away from picking up my '07 Civic Hybrid. Just have a few questions for you guys to help with some of my fear's and interest.

1. I live in NJ where the winters are either not really here or bad. It worries me that the HCH does not have Traction Control. How do you guys fair in snow?

2. I drove it 2 times but the one thing I didn’t get to try is highway. How do you fair with the power on the highway? Does it seem to get you in trouble when trying to pass?

3. Did anyone get the Bass Speaker Upgrade? If so, how much of a difference do you notice?

4. Did anyone get the Interior Illumination? If so, how do you like it?

5. I am coming from an Acura and am scared I will miss my HID headlights. Has anyone installed brighter bulbs or do you find the headlights good as they come?

6. When test driving the Auto Stop rarely came on, why is that? What conditions does it normally like to work?

7. Has anyone installed a remote start?

8. What are your guy’s avg MPT (Miles per Tank)?

9. Has anyone installed any aftermarket things (Not sold by Honda) that would suggest to any HCH owner to get?

10. In my Acura if I insert the key into the door, turn and hold I can raise or lower all the windows. Also while coming up to the car if I hit the unlock button 2 times and hold on the second, I can roll all the windows down. Does the Civic also have the feature?

Once again thank you to all owners who help me in this. Getting answers to these ?’s will really help calm me down.

Safe Driving! John

Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Wo ai Zheng!
Default Re: ?'s for 2006+ HCH Owners. PLEASE HELP!!!

1. I'm fine in the snow, but I grew up in Cleveland, so I'm used to it. The number one rule is "Don't be stupid." This goes for every car, not just the HCH. People with AWD often make the mistake of thinking that because they can accel in the snow, they can stop just as easily... hehehehhee If you're worried, you can always but a set of winter-specific tires like Blizzaks.

2. I have enough power to do what I need, when I need. That is, climb reasonably sized hills at 70mph if that's what the flow of traffic is doing. I'd much rather climb that hill at 60mph, but I'm not about to argue with the Freighliner gaining on me from behind. Passing, well, why would you want to? Unless it's some fogey doing 35mph in a 65 zone, you shouldn't need to.

3. Didn't get this, though I have pondered it as a work bonus "gift to self"

4. Don't have this either, but other threads have photos.

5. The bulbs I have are good enough for me, but I took the time to aim them properly (this isn't always done correctly at the factory).

6. Hard to say without knowing what your battery charge state was, whether or not the engine was up to temp, and if you were running the A/C at the time.

7. Don't want one... wastes gas.

8. In summer, 600-660mpt (all time record is 705). In winter, about 500.

9. Didn't install it (and should have), but I highly recommend the 3M clear bra.

10. The '06 does not, dunno if newer ones do or not.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by Princetoncivic
1. I live in NJ where the winters are either not really here or bad. It worries me that the HCH does not have Traction Control. How do you guys fair in snow?
Traction control on the HCH is not a "mandatory" item at all. What you really need is good winter tires. Nowadays, there are many vehicles with traction control but unless they sport the appropriate rubber then the TC is almost useless (still better than nothing). For instance, the traction control feature on the Prius is more of a liability than an asset for those of us in colder climates as it can render the vehicle motionless even with good winter tires.
For reference, my winters are 5-6 month long and temps dip to -30 to -40F which is likely to be an extreme for a lot of folks. My preferred tires are Michelin X-Ice.

2. I drove it 2 times but the one thing I didn’t get to try is highway. How do you fair with the power on the highway? Does it seem to get you in trouble when trying to pass?
It requires planning and prudence. The HCH-II is an economy hybrid and not a sports sedan. Many folks will find its acceleration abilities adequate but others will likely not see it that way. I find it more than adequate.

3. Did anyone get the Bass Speaker Upgrade? If so, how much of a difference do you notice?
Nope. But an after market solution may offer more value and features.

Yes, mine is custom since I wanted it brighter and also extended to the rear floor surface.

5. I am coming from an Acura and am scared I will miss my HID headlights. Has anyone installed brighter bulbs or do you find the headlights good as they come?
Some folks have managed to install HID's and claim good success using them. Do a search on the forum and you'll find a few references. I too have had Acuras before, but I do not miss the HID (either look or function).

6. When test driving the Auto Stop rarely came on, why is that? What conditions does it normally like to work?
Car must be warm, operating on "D", the defrost must be off and the AC must be operating less aggressively.

7. Has anyone installed a remote start?
Nope. It is definitely not an "environmentally sound" decision to do so for many of us (yes, we frown upon that)

500-620

9. Has anyone installed any aftermarket things (Not sold by Honda) that would suggest to any HCH owner to get?
Yep. TPMS, electronic rust protection to name a couple.

10. In my Acura if I insert the key into the door, turn and hold I can raise or lower all the windows. Also while coming up to the car if I hit the unlock button 2 times and hold on the second, I can roll all the windows down. Does the Civic also have the feature?
Nope. I don't think so. Although it sits at the high-end of the Civic line offering, those luxury features have not yet percolated down to the Civic line.

Cheers & Welcome.

MSantos

Old 08-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I live in Chicago and have experienced it through 1 winter and haven't had a problem. Just be careful of the snow that builds up in the middle so that the splash sheild doesn't "eat snow" and rip it off. Traction wasn't really a problem for me.

I haven't had any trouble. You should ask the dealer to let you test drive the car before purchasing it on the highway to make sure you are happy with the performance.

I added this to my car and it wasn't worth it, there are better aftermarket solutions out there.

I had this on my 2006 and it did a great job. It matched the interior really well and has a nice soft glow. I removed mine before I traded my 2006 HCH II in, so if you are interested in installing a set I have mine for sale. Just PM me.

You will miss your HIDs. But, I find the halogen lights to be pretty good. With aftermarket systems there is a lot of glare since the halogen patter is not made for HIDs. There are retrofits that you can purchase that have the correct beam pattern and such.

shy of 500

tinted windows

no

Old 08-20-2007, 02:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

7) Remote Start
i bought a used one that came with a very nice Viper remote start that works great, but it is hard to use with the honda keys, if you lock/unlock it with the viper remote, if you then lock/unlock it with the honda remote, the alarm will go off, so your best bet is to tape the new keyless entry on top of the hold honda key

Dont worry guys, i use this so rarely that i have actually lost the remote start keys, but i might use it some when the New england winter kicks in

Old 08-20-2007, 02:27 PM
AJR
Active Enthusiast

Hi John... my .02cents - hope it helps:

1. I live in NJ where the winters are either not really here or bad. It worries me that the HCH does not have Traction Control. How do you guys fair in snow? I live in Sacramento, CA. I've had my 07 HCH for 4 months so I have not been through a winter with it yet. The only time I have to worry about snow is if I go skiing about an hour and a half up the mountain. We may just use our Honda Pilot for this, but I see myself taking the HCH up the mountain now and then. Just need to drive it safely I'm sure.

2. I drove it 2 times but the one thing I didn’t get to try is highway. How do you fair with the power on the highway? Does it seem to get you in trouble when trying to pass? If I can take back streets to where I'm going I use them (better mpg). I do go on the freeway quite often though and I don't have any acceleration difficulties. I'm not heavy on the pedal as it is. I don't like going over 2,000 rpm if I don't have to, but do take it to about 3,000 to 3,500 on the merge into traffic and I'm fine. Once on the freeway, I get between 60 to 70 mph and just cruise. Don't expect a "zippy" car (neither is the Prius, but now they are advertising that it's "zippy" and the lady talking says she's even got a speeding ticket). I can get a speeding ticket too... the HCH can go 110mph! I just choose to drive the speed limit. It does have the power when you need it... those of us around here choose not to use it - with a long high rev on the engine you can watch the mpg meter drop!

3. Did anyone get the Bass Speaker Upgrade? If so, how much of a difference do you notice? Didn't get it so can't help you here. I don't listen to heavy bass anymore. I'm mainly an 80's/90's music listner. I set the stock radio to +1 on the bass level and that gives me all I need.

4. Did anyone get the Interior Illumination? If so, how do you like it? I would like to get it - I think it does look very nice. I also want to get the light-up Civic kick plates that someone is selling on eBay.

5. I am coming from an Acura and am scared I will miss my HID headlights. Has anyone installed brighter bulbs or do you find the headlights good as they come? I've never had HID so I can't compare to what I have now, but the headlights are far better in my 07 HCH than my 00 Cavalier! I haven't had any problems seeing in front of the car.

6. When test driving the Auto Stop rarely came on, why is that? What conditions does it normally like to work? As everyone else said, there are definetely factors that play a part in Auto Stop working when it should. I remember when I got my car back in April, it only had 6 miles on it, but the battery SoC was only at 4 bars. My wife was doing the test drive so she had the A/C on as well. Even still, the car handled nicely and did not seem sluggish even though (I know now) it was probably in "forced regen" to charge the battery.

7. Has anyone installed a remote start? RS='The Devil' around here (these forums). I'm sure you could install it, but you will see the mpg calculator drop by as much as .5 to 1.0 mpg while sitting in the driveway warming up for 5 minutes! Unless you can make that back up during your commute than I'd say it's not worth it. Install some seat heaters that you can turn on when you get in the car to warm YOU up quicker. Also you could install an engine block heater (search the forums) to assist with quicker warm-up of the car when you start it. My procedure everytime I get in the car: Unlock door, get in car, put down anything in my hands (cups, papers), put key in ignition, put on seatbelt, check to make sure I have everything, start car, put in gear within 5 seconds of starting car! No sense in wasting gas while I do all the other things sitting in the driveway!

8. What are your guy’s avg MPT (Miles per Tank)? Many people around here look at MPG vs MPT. I prefer MPT myself. My last 5 tanks (and the one I'm on now) have been in the low 600's (608, 618, etc). If I get 600+ MPT whether my MPG indicator says 47mpg or 52mpg, I'm happy. I do run the tank 100-150 miles past the fuel warning light - so I do run the tank pretty dry. My fillups are usually 11.5 to 12.1 gallons. I just ordered my custom plate from the DMV that says '600 MILS'. I will have a frame around it that says: [top]: I GET AT LEAST [plate]: 600 MILS [bottom]: ON EVERY TANK! I'm sure it will turn some heads and be a good conversation piece (and I'm sure **** some people off which is not my intention)!

9. Has anyone installed any aftermarket things (Not sold by Honda) that would suggest to any HCH owner to get? I did not get the Navi because I already had a GPS (StreetPilot III). Looking back, I should have got the Navi just for the Bluetooth and CF Card Slot to put MP3's on. However the $2K difference still would not have justified it. I just use my Creative ZEN ($69 mp3 solution) through the 1/8" AUX Jack. I also just purchased a WayFinder V7500 mainly for the compass and altimeter. I wash my car every weekend and check my tire pressure at the same time, so I don't really need the TPMS.

10. In my Acura if I insert the key into the door, turn and hold I can raise or lower all the windows. Also while coming up to the car if I hit the unlock button 2 times and hold on the second, I can roll all the windows down. Does the Civic also have the feature? I just went out to my car to double check this and it does not do the auto window feature (would be nice though). I would assume there would be an aftermarket unit that could accomplish this (or try to get one for a Civic Si that you can have installed?).

Once again thank you to all owners who help me in this. Getting answers to these ?’s will really help calm me down. These forums (and cleanmpg.com) are really wonderful resources for making your HCH more enjoyable. Be sure to read Tarabell's HCHII guide at cleanmpg.com to learn some of the terminology used around here and to see what will work best for you in your driving conditions!

Safe Driving! John Safe is a relative term around here! I'm referring to those crazies who like to Fake AutoStop (FAS)!

Last edited by AJR; 08-20-2007 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added procedure to #7
Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

I drive my HCH2 in Northern NJ, and have been happy with the winter handling. Mind you I haven't driven with ESC, so no direct comparison available.

But anectdotally, I had a big plow pull right out in front of me while I was going 50 mph on the GS Parkway during one of the big snowstorms in Feb. As I swerved and braked the car handled remarkably well with no fishtailing. I think the car has good weight distribution, good standard tires, and ABS. Plenty safe.

While I think Insurance companies think ESC is the hot new safety standard, I worry about it continuing the trend of emboldening aggressive drivers. But, hey if it keeps them from slamming into me, I guess it's got a net positive...

Old 08-25-2007, 04:45 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for all your help guys and gals

Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Sorry, but why even ask? This is an economy small sedan and it drives like one. Means take it slow and brake early because you don't have the weight to get much traction. You could buy lots of sand bags from Home depot and load them, or just get an SUV for winter

On the highway find a nice slow truck and follow behind, you won't have to worry about acceleration issues!

I have XM and the base sound system is comparable to my BMW. I don't exactly make the car "thump" or anything and my selection is light jazz....

Your car glows enough at night, people can make you out quite well without tints.

On recomendation from someone here I went with ebay bulbs, The base bulbs don't give much range especially in slight fog.

Don't have AC maxed, and you need to reach at least 7mph before it will activate, and have warmed up the battery after just starting.

mid 50's, 500-550 miles range, pretty good for New England driving I think!

Aftermarket XM and Navigation with voice. You can get them both installed for a total of under 600 if your a good shopper, better than the 1500 for a honda system that doesn't have a pleasant voice in the morning!

I've heard the Odessey will roll down the windows from remote but thats all I know!