Splash guard

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Splash guard

Is this thing necessary?? Everytime I change my oil, I brake some of those cheap little anoying plug/clip things. I think I have one left! So I left it off this time. I can't imagine how it would hurt since most cars don't have them, and don't seem to have problems...Is there something I'm missing here?

Old 03-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Splash guard

If you're talking about the plastic cover under the engine compartment, I'm not sure what its true purpose is.

I thought it was simply an aerodynamic aid, to reduce turbulence under the car. But it may have some value in keeping rain water away from the electric motor.

Either way, I'd buy some more plugs from the dealer, and leave the guard in place.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

^What he said. If your talking about the plastic cover under the engine, I think it's only for aerodynamic purposes. It also keeps the engine compartment much cleaner.

The clips are very cheap. They can range from about $0.33 to $1.50 or so, depending on which one you need. I would try to pick some up, so you can get slightly higher MPG () and keep your engine clean. Be sure you get the right clips. I have heard of people putting this on incorrectly and having it come off on the highway :O.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Enthusiast

Ok, you guys convinced me to put it on. Next time I do an oil change I'll throw it back on there ~grumble grumble~

Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 PM
Energy Independence

How often (in miles) are you changing your oil? (to have broken all the clips, already).

And, yes it's an aerodynamic aid, helps keep the engine compartment MUCH cleaner, and may be helpful in protecting the electric motor and its wiring, etc under the hood. I suspect, though, that the electric motor protection is pretty well handled anyway (even without the undercover).

Old 03-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Enthusiast

Be careful if you take that thing off. I forgot all about it on my oil change and left it off. During the big upper midwest snows I got snow buildup under the rear guard (covers the brake lines) until it literally ripped off the bottom of the car. Imagine my shock.

And I'd love to know where you guys get those clips for $0.33 clips. My one and only local honda dealer had them for $2.83 EACH! Granted they're a better design with a notch for the screwdriver to get in under the release without breaking it, but geez....

Old 03-13-2008, 05:33 PM

Actually, they may be $2.83. The ones i bought were 33 cents (just the regular clip, no screw or anything), and then about $1 or so for the ones without the notch for the screwdriver. I would check out some online honda parts stores though.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

That was my 3rd oil change and only one has survived! The last few I took off this time were brittle and as soon as I pulled them out just fell apart.
I think I'll be ok without it for a while. I'm in AZ and we don't get snow down here where I'm at. With Summer on the way the conditions should be optimal for having it off.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Enthusiast

In the mean time, I'll track down some cheap clips!

Old 03-13-2008, 08:55 PM

Try College Hills Honda, honda parts deals, or autopartswarehouse.com. How many clips are down there anyways?

Quick Reply: Splash guard

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands