tips for driving through mountains???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: tips for driving through mountains???

Another thing for for you guys to keep in mind, for those of you who use 'S' mode to get uphill without using assist, try and keep your RPM's below 3500 and really no more than 3000. The car may be a little slower but you will burn considerbly more gas over 3500 RPM because the car will switch over to the 'performance' cam increasing the rate of acceleration but greatly affecting MPG. I guees you have to pick the best of the two evils so to speak.

Old 04-04-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by samajhna
So this morning (keep in mind I've only had the car a week) I turned it on, started rolling down the hill, put it in neutral, turned the ICE off, and coasted the rest of the way to the stop sign at the bottom. I'm trying to figure out whether this will be a better strategy (given that it presumably also delays the car's warming up).
Hmm, so back to my question from another thread - is it okay to shut down and restart the ICE multiple times when the engine is cold? I have heard that one of the worst things we do routinely to our engines is start them when they are cold. But I don't know if this is a myth, minor problem, potential for major problems or only applicable during the first short time of ICE running.

I'm sure many of you have traffic lights that you contend with within the first mile or so of driving. When sitting there at a red light with only 1/2 mile of warmup, I'm really tempted to reach down and shut it off, as some have indicated they do, but I don't want to damage the engine by doing this routinely.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toast64
Hmm, so back to my question from another thread - is it okay to shut down and restart the ICE multiple times when the engine is cold? I have heard that one of the worst things we do routinely to our engines is start them when they are cold. But I don't know if this is a myth, minor problem, potential for major problems or only applicable during the first short time of ICE running.

I'm sure many of you have traffic lights that you contend with within the first mile or so of driving. When sitting there at a red light with only 1/2 mile of warmup, I'm really tempted to reach down and shut it off, as some have indicated they do, but I don't want to damage the engine by doing this routinely.

Any thoughts?
I believe the most potentially damaging thing is a cold start after the engine has been idle for several hours. The oil has then drained from the engine and for a few seconds it may run with very little lubrication. After those first few seconds, if you shut it down and restart it very soon after, I doubt that you're doing any damage.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by ElanC
I believe the most potentially damaging thing is a cold start after the engine has been idle for several hours. The oil has then drained from the engine and for a few seconds it may run with very little lubrication. After those first few seconds, if you shut it down and restart it very soon after, I doubt that you're doing any damage.
As usual, you make a lot of sense! I'm now an official cold engine FAS fanatic!