Tire air pump recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 06:45 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tire air pump recommendation

Howdy Folks,

I've done a bit of searching but have found no thread recommending a good quality tire air pump.

So here goes. What's out there in the way of air pumps and what would you suggest.

Thanks
Bart

O7 HCH-II

Old 06-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire air pump recommendation

I prefer AC models. I had a great little air pump from Sears but someone stole it recently. I just picked a little one from Napa auto parts, nice light size but its a little slow. It's faster than a 12v plug in one but not as fast as the craftsman I had from Sears. I think you could find one at Sears or Napa. If you want a 12v pump you can find that anywhere including Walmart.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have two - one is about a 10 year old Black and Decker Air Station. 120V only, but it airs up all kind of tires, including motor home tires. This model is not made anymore - I don't know what the quality of the newer 120/12V model is like.

EDIT: The Sears 120V Air Inflator Mattiesettlement talks about looks similar to the Black and Decker Air Station, however, read the reviews first.

The other is the Interdynamics Truck Air Compressor - 12V only, but fan cooled and doesn't over heat. It is much faster than the cheaper 12V air pumps. I have had it about 6 years and have had no problems. It easily topped off the large tires on my truck the motorhome tires at 65psi.

Last edited by nash; 06-20-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have one of those B&D Air stations as well. Yes, a good unit. I'm sure the Sears is just fine.

I also keep a cheap 12V in the trunk. Once I left work and found my car in the lot with a flat tire. After about 15 minutes of pumping, it was up and off the rim- good enough to make it home.

Also, be sure to use a good quality pressure gauge. Don't go by the ones mounted in the compressor.

-Steve

Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 AM
Enthusiast

Never mind, thanks anyway. I went out and bought one of these.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915300000P

I could have gotten the 2-gallon compressor for less, but it was heavier and I wanted the nailer/stapler gun for home projects.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Also check out these at Home Depot. I ended up with a Husky 12V portable air inflator which I too keep in the trunk. It doubles as a lamp.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Hybrid Owner

Originally Posted by spinner
It doubles as a lamp.
I laughed at this, not because it was funny but because it seems like such a random function. LOL

Old 06-21-2008, 05:47 AM
Enthusiast

L O L

Old 06-21-2008, 06:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a plug-in 12v in the car for emergencies, although won't recommend it because long use of it gets very hot and I doubt it will last all that long for car tires. With that said it cost me about $10 when I bought it at a garage sale three years ago and it is still working. LOL

I also have a bike style hand pump that is rated for 99 psi and is considered high volume. I have pumped up a car tire from almost flat, less than 5psi, to full within just a few minutes. Might be worthy of consideration for having one around. They are about between $10-20 and will probably last forever with proper care and never need electricity AC or DC. A very green item indeed.