Trip to Winterplace

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Trip to Winterplace

Hello all

Just got back from a skiing trip to Winterplace, WV. The car did great with 64 w and 77 s. The grade of the roads were 9% and more. The battery soc would go from full bars to 1 bar, but still maintaining 65 mph. The soc would recharge on the down hill side, just like it is suppose to. This was my first long and taxing trip in HCHII 650 miles round trip, with 43 mpg for the trip. I have the original dunlop tires on the car 25k. People have been saying that the tires suck on the snow, Boy is that an understatement!!!!! I have never been more tense while driving, then with dunlops and snowy roads. They are getting replace asap!!!!!

It was interesting to watch my 4 other passangers reaction to the tach going to 4.5k and staying there on the looong steep hills.

I will have no fear taking the HCHII if you live in the mountains, you have to love the mpgs on the back side of the hill.

See ya
Brian

Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trip to Winterplace

Did you have skis on the roof, or did you rent them when you got there? 43mpg sounds pretty good for a full car with 5 people--nice job!

I don't fear the mountains at all! They are great for MPG as long as you are able to keep the glide up on the downhill. I think of them as one big forced "pulse and glide" session!

Old 02-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Pale Driver
Thumbs up Re: Trip to Winterplace

Whew, I'll bet you were tighter than a banjo string on the ride up that mountain. Those tires on those roads=freakshow. Kudos to you for the mpg!

Old 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Trip to Winterplace

Sorry it took so long to reply,

We did rent skis for the trip, Learning about the no assist when the soc is full was fun. I had never had it at full before in 25k miles.

Hybrid Eer: I have never been that tight before while driving, I was stress out completely. I will be replacing the tires with Kumos kr21 loved them on my last car
I hope that I do not take a big hit in mpgs

Brian