Unusual tank - for me

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 08:30 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Unusual tank - for me

I had a very unusual tank this time. Last week I "rolled" through a stop sign, but I had slowed down enough for auto stop to kick in. After I got through the stop sign I noticed auto stop was still engaged. I ended up rolling, up to 20 MPH, with auto stop engaged for 1 to 2 blocks. I had to turn a corner and slowed down to turn the corner and I had to let off the brake enough to start the engine. Auto stop does not like to start when you are rolling as much as I was !

The second interesting thing that happened this tank was the FCD actually went up after I had traveled over 500 miles. Some of you may have experienced that before, but my experience has been that I can go down, but never up. But as you can see from the last tank it was not as great a tank as the FCD indicated.

Billy

Old 05-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Unusual tank - for me

billy i know exactly what you're talking about with the auto-stop rolling however it must be done on a short downward slope in order to keep the car rolling forward (without overheating the brakes or annoying people driving behind you) - of which i only have one chance to do in my daily commute - wish i had more chances. i know rebooting does the same thing but i don't like what it does to the transmission and how i can't start up the engine as quickly to maneuver in an emergency

as for your fcd going up, its difficult but very possible - i know my fcd can still go up if i just increase my mpg at the end of my tank as opposed to the first 500 miles, although the margin must be much greater for a jump to register (because there are so many miles logged behind you that it requires a big difference in mpg to change the average)

Old 05-14-2005, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was lucky enough not to have anyone around on the autostop coast. If someone had been there I would have let off the brake and let the car start, but it sure was fun.

For the longest I didn't think I could get the FCD to change after 500 miles or so. The tank before this it went down , but this time when it went up I tought there was still hope! I agree that to do either after so many miles is hard to do due to all the MPG prior to average.

Billy

Old 05-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

same, i only auto-stop coast when there's nobody behind me. funny story: when i was doing it once, the car auto-stopped right next to a guy loading his vw golf, and he looked up in surprise to see me keep rolling with the engine off into the driveway and execute a perfect parking maneuver into the first parking spot.

i think it made him wonder how that happened