A very minor point

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A very minor point

i talked to my friend about this, and he referenced me a road and track question/answer regarding fuel injector operation during deceleration/coasting:

~~~~~~~~

Quote:
You're correct about electronic fuel injectors being on or off devices. What you suspect is also true; during deceleration the injectors simply aren't opened. This leads to infinitely high "instant" mileage readouts, as you've seen.

The injectors are reactivated when engine approaches idle speed so the engine won't stall.

click here for the full q&a
~~~~~~~~

this means, during deceleration or braking the engine uses no gas if rpms are not near idle speed (~700 rpm). at 40 mph my rpms are around 1400, double that. thus i don't think FAS would help me save any more gas in the scenario i described previously.

Old 10-09-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by bluecivichybrid
Thanks Robby,
I'll keep that in mind, but since I'm not that comfortable with FAS and there is plenty of cross traffic on my route (vehicles turning in from driveways and parking lots), i think i'll keep to coasting in gear. 120+ mpg is good nuff for me
That would be an incredible spot for an FAS every day...4 miles...I'm jealous! If traffic conditions put you into disease, then the least I can say is you should be sliding into Neutral every time you hit this stretch. It won't be infinite MPGs for free like an FAS, but you will see dramatic decrease in RPMs, probably 1.3 or 1.5 down to 0.7 or 0.8 (close to half at times) and that will yield even better results than you're currently getting. True, you're seeing 120+ MPG and it may be as high as 150 MPG, but in Neutral you're more likely at 150-170 MPG, and FAS is immeasurable, it's free, it's GRRRRRREAT!

Old 10-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Arrow Re: A very minor point

Originally Posted by coz6
When I had my HCH I was always annoyed by the Auto Stop park thing. I used to always turn it off before shifting to Park... However, a few times I had to run after my car a little as I forgot to put it in Park and got out of my car...
Many years ago my wife parked her car in the garage with the transmission in Drive and got out. Even though the ground was level, the car rolled back out, then went down the driveway and smacked into a parked car across the street. Ever since then, she religiously sets the parking brake immediately after turning off the ignition!

Fortunately, on the '05 HCH you can't take the key out of the ignition unless the transmission is in Park. (I just tried it.)

Old 10-10-2005, 06:18 PM

helterskelter-

i just tried FAS today, on a 3.1 mile long (sorry, 4 was an exaggeration), very gentle descent - thanks so much tbaleno and pzev and everybody who supplied all these informational posts - helped me greatly. Using FAS for those three miles instead of coasting in gear boosted my mileage 4.2 mpg, which is a lot for a measly three miles.

route picture:

Old 10-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

What about coasting in neutral? Isn't that what started this whole discussion? That's what I really want to compare - neutral coasting vs FAS coasting. How did you calculate the 4 mpg? How many miles were on the tank when the change was observed?

In any case, I think even at 4 mpg, the whole time pegged at 120+ mpg, I really don't think that 3% is going to make much difference. Certainly not enough for me to risk the safety issue of a FAS.

Last edited by zimbop; 10-10-2005 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:12 PM

helterskelter-

i just tried FAS today, on a 3.1 mile long (sorry, 4 was an exaggeration), very gentle descent - thanks so much tbaleno and pzev and everybody who supplied all these informational posts - helped me greatly. Using FAS for those three miles instead of coasting in gear boosted my mileage 4.2 mpg, which is a lot for a measly three miles.
Awesome! That's a HUGE difference! Isn't that such a great feeling when you're flying down the road with NO engine?

Old 12-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast

i talked to my friend about this, and he referenced me a road and track question/answer regarding fuel injector operation during deceleration/coasting:

~~~~~~~~

Quote:
You're correct about electronic fuel injectors being on or off devices. What you suspect is also true; during deceleration the injectors simply aren't opened. This leads to infinitely high "instant" mileage readouts, as you've seen.

The injectors are reactivated when engine approaches idle speed so the engine won't stall.

My ICE actually STOPS, then restarts a moment later!

Old 12-07-2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by zimbop
How did you calculate the 4 mpg? How many miles were on the tank when the change was observed?
On the 20 mile daily route I usually take, my gauge consistently reads 52.0 mpg by the end of that section mapped below. With FAS, the gauge read 56.0 mpg. 20 miles were on the tripmeter for each trip.

Originally Posted by BillR
My ICE actually STOPS, then restarts a moment later!
I think you are referring to Auto-stop, when the car turns off the engine at stoplights. I'm referring to closing the fuel injectors during deceleration, which I believe somebody refuted by saying that if the 03-05 HCH ICE is ever running, it is using some gas, unlike on the 06 HCH ev-mode.