"Why" I originally cancelled The 2006 (HCH) Must-Read (Update On Saturday 22nd)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Default Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

I think you're acting a bit rashly, Terry. Your experience is no reason not to buy that car -- it's just a reason to avoid that shitty dealer like the plague.

1) Do not buy any accessories at all. Because dealers are legally required to show exactly what their markup is and exactly what the MSRP is, it makes it a bit harder for them to justify to customers a high markup. But there's a loophole -- charging very high prices for accessories. Not only do they transparently mark up the prices of the accessories, but on top of that they charge huge amounts for "labor". So you always want to buy a car completely devoid of any accessories and avoid any dealer that automatically installs a bunch of them and gives you no choice.

2) They are ripping you off if they're giving you $4500 less than the blue-book trade-in value for your car. Hell, I was offered $1000 less and I considered that a rip-off I grudgingly accepted.

3) There should be no paperwork fee at all, though maybe you can settle for a $50 one... but it's really just a bullshit fee they use to try to eek out a bit more profit from the sale.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:53 PM
G.H. Contributor
Talking Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
I think you're acting a bit rashly, Terry. Your experience is no reason not to buy that car -- it's just a reason to avoid that shitty dealer like the plague.

1) Do not buy any accessories at all. Because dealers are legally required to show exactly what their markup is and exactly what the MSRP is, it makes it a bit harder for them to justify to customers a high markup. But there's a loophole -- charging very high prices for accessories. Not only do they transparently mark up the prices of the accessories, but on top of that they charge huge amounts for "labor". So you always want to buy a car completely devoid of any accessories and avoid any dealer that automatically installs a bunch of them and gives you no choice.

2) They are ripping you off if they're giving you $4500 less than the blue-book trade-in value for your car. Hell, I was offered $1000 less and I considered that a rip-off I grudgingly accepted.

3) There should be no paperwork fee at all, though maybe you can settle for a $50 one... but it's really just a bullshit fee they use to try to eek out a bit more profit from the sale.
Hi CGameProgrammer; You seem like your a little unsure as to how you really see this situation. Could you possibly try to make your (points) a little clearer (Pretty-Please).

I hear you Loud And Clear:

Terry

BTW; I know that you realize that I was just messing with you (Right) ?

Old 10-18-2005, 07:56 PM
4 Kids-Can't afford gas!

Originally Posted by DTDRIVER
Folks, you gotta WAIT.....
Unfortunately, due to the high mileage that we drive every week, each month that I wait, I have paid between $315 and $378 per month extra in gas versus my Ody or Sub (based on $2.70/Gal in Colorado right now). So waiting another three or four months for $1K discount will actually cost me.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Sorry you canceled Terry. Theres no way I'd ever pay msrp for a car. Wont happen. I looked at two Coupes yesterday. One in NW Arkansas, one in Tulsa. Tulsa dealer offered to discount $500. Seeing Im holding out for a Si any way it was fun to jerk his chain..

Sales have already slowed down here on the new Civics. Gas prices are back down to $2.27pg. The Suv's and huge pick ups are at it again. With the huge discounts the big three are giving theres more gas guzzling than ever.

I think the market will adjust rather fast and there will be Civics of all types loaded up on lots across the country. Even with hybrid and Si coming out, the feeding frenzy will be short.

Old 10-19-2005, 07:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Terry, I'm really sorry about what you went through, but this also serves as a lesson for me personally regarding the accessories. I will go for the inside/outside treatments of the paint/fabric if only to extend the warranties slightly and leave it at that. I was thinking about getting XM installed, but maybe I'll wait on that.

Anyone else heard about the possible 3 week delay on the HCH's?

Don

Old 10-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

Originally Posted by dshelman
...Anyone else heard about the possible 3 week delay on the HCH's?
No. I just checked the Hondanews.com website, which is the site the press access for latest news releases, pictures, etc. and there is mention of the delay. The original press release advising "The 2006 Civic Hybrid... goes on sale October 19" is still there. Was the "delay" documented in an article or just from a dealer conversation?

What does "goes on sale October 19th" mean ? Is this when the delaers submit the orders they have been collecting?

Old 10-19-2005, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: "Why" I Cancelled The 2006 (HCH)

It was mentioned in another post on this board as a tidbit from a "conversation with a dealer". If it's false, then I'm guilty of spreading an unsubstantiated rumor and I apologize.

Don

Old 10-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Terry,

I completely blew past your comment that they were asking you to take a $4500 hit on your 05. That is absolute nonsense. When I toyed with the idea of moving from my 03 HCH to an 05 HAH, the dealer I spoke to offered me $15000 in trade for my almost 3-year old car with (then) 40K miles. That's only $6K off the price I paid for it - not bad at all in my mind. We know, and these dealers know, that used hybrids will fly off the lot. You're sitting on a gem - make them pay for it.

Dealers will talk themselves into believing that because of a car's perceived demand, they can get all crazy about what they sell them for. Your strategy of talking to a variety of dealers will help. With my 03 I talked to dealers in about a 100 mile radius from where I live. The one dealer closest wanted a $2K markup above sticker. Another dealer 90 miles down the road did not. When I went to negotiate (at the closer dealer), the sales person and I "agreed" that $2K was worth a 90 mile drive and if they wanted to sell me the car, that little mark up was not enter into our conversation at any point (and it didn't).

You know, regardless of what you pay someone you know (or on this board) will have paid less. Always happens. I hope you find an agreeable situation soon and get on with the business of enjoying your new car.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Tim
Terry,

I completely blew past your comment that they were asking you to take a $4500 hit on your 05. That is absolute nonsense. When I toyed with the idea of moving from my 03 HCH to an 05 HAH, the dealer I spoke to offered me $15000 in trade for my almost 3-year old car with (then) 40K miles. That's only $6K off the price I paid for it - not bad at all in my mind. We know, and these dealers know, that used hybrids will fly off the lot. You're sitting on a gem - make them pay for it.
He has a regular Civic, actually, but he still should not get so little for it. Used Civics are hugely popular -- they depreciate less than any other car.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Terry,

I'd say you are in the throes of impulse buying, and have a high chance of suffering buyer's remorse if you do not back off.

You have an excellent car right now, in all respects: MPG, reliability, etc. So there is no rush. I assure you -- you will enjoy your next new car just as much for the first year whether you buy it tommorow, or next year. That is the way consumerism works

In the meantime, let the market and greedy dealers cool off, and think about selling your car privately at your own pace and for a reasonable price.

Be relieved and proud that you are not one of the herd that bought a gas guzzling monster SUV.

Quick Reply: "Why" I originally cancelled The 2006 (HCH) Must-Read (Update On Saturday 22nd)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands