Buy an Insight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:51 AM
Banned
Default Re: Buy an Insight?

PriusNut,

I'd love to drive a Prius to find out about "the other side of hybrids". I would only consider a 5-speed Insight because the CVT does not get significantly better FE than the Prius II. If you are serious, I'd check with Insight owners and look on ebay for a good deal. Specifically, I'd look for a 5-speed Insight from 2001 or later with a lifetime milage of at least 50mpg. If possible, I'd get one with a warranty on the batteries.

I have had my Insight 110,000 miles for six years this month. Just before 94,000 miles I needed my hybrid battery pack replaced, and I was out only nine days - not the 1-2 months I've heard. Most Insights that encounter this are year 2000 like mine - the software/hardware has been upgraded.

I know next to nothing about the Prius, but I'd bet the Insight experience would be a more hands-on experence. If you are a programmer, it would be like using machine language.

Hope that helps.