Will Honda Still Make Insight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 07:41 PM
BIF
Active Enthusiast

I truly hope so, because after I pay off my Prius, I'd consider getting an Insight as a second car for use when it's just me and my backpack.

Has anybody heard anything more concrete than rumors from the unreliable press?

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Bif:

___The 2005 Insight’s are on the dealer order sheets according to the rumors over at Insightcentral.net. With that being said, I wouldn’t touch one unless it was used myself. The resale on our little beauties isn’t what I would call spectacular. Purchasing used however … Let’s just say you should be able to find one with < 30,000 miles for $10K or less if you have a bit of patience. In my book, that makes it a steal Then again, they are becoming hard to find new no matter where you are located …

___A small update but Yves over in the same forum had a custom fabricated trailer hitch made and installed for his Insight. It looks incredible. It is also a great way to bring a pair of bikes along for a trip albeit with a small loss of her excellent aerodynamics.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 07-17-2004, 10:22 PM
BIF
Active Enthusiast

Thanks, Wayne. I'll keep an eye out for Insight news. I'm still interested and hopeful that Honda will continue to support their little hybrid, and one good way to show that is to keep making them.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:29 AM

Took this from a Yahoo Groups post earlier today:

Intersting sidelight: Robert Bienenfeld, Senior Manager for Product
Planning at Honda told me that indeed--listen up everyone--the knock
sensor technology and the timing adjustments in both the Insights and
the V-6's do in fact allow better performance and economy with 93
octane fuel.
When I said (see below) that I didn't see the same thing
in my wife's 4cyl 03 he said yes, that one doesn't have the same
system. Hope this ends the discussion about premium and the Insight;
he seemed to think my 6mpg improvement was about right.
Wayne, did you know about this and do you think it is true?

Old 10-26-2004, 10:46 AM

Hi Lars-ss:

___I read his yahoo post about an hour ago as well. The Honda manager is full of it. Advance only pulls back when the KS detects knock. The only place knock would be detected would be closer to WOT then not. Guess where the hypermilers drive? 1,600 – 1,700 RPM and this is no where near where the advance would be pulled by a knock sensor. 4,000 + RPM’s would but not < 2,000 RPM’s. The Honda guy placed his foot in his mouth with that statement imho.

___I read this kind of garbage in the Acura MDX.org forums all the time as well. Honda/Acura recommends Premium unleaded. Sure if you want all 260 + HP at WOT, Premium will let the advance ride the top of the curve. At far less then WOT - throttle angle/load, the fuel economy received from Regular unleaded is just as good as Premium if not better depending on the caloric content of the additives to increase octane. The guys over there are shocked when I post the X’s dash pics w/ > 30 mpg and I always run 87 Regular unleaded in it as well …

___As for the rest of Pat’s post, I can achieve 45 - 50 mpg from a brand new and non-warmed up std. 04 Accord LX/EX I4 so how Pat received ~ 34 mpg in the Accord Hybrid is beyond me given his years of Insight game gauge training? I have no idea what he was speaking of in regards to the IMA pack at a high SoC helping mileage or not either. Once strong hidden charging ceases, there is no more drag and the fuel economy is what it is. 18 - 19 bars on the SoC will not drag the fuel economy down in an Insight and I highly doubt the Accord Hybrid’s SW was changed to maximize charge (force charge) up to 20 of 20 bars either. If you find the time today, post a link to this thread so we can see the fireworks fly I will respond in kind when I get back home tomorrow afternoon.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 11-02-2004, 03:45 AM
Enthusiast

Keep producing the insight?

Not only do I hope they keep producing them, I hope they come out with an improved model, with better milage and aceleration... Pipe dream you say? Toyota already did it with the Prius.

The insight has been out for 4 going on 5 years now, it's time for a second generation of what is STILL the highest milage production car on the planet.