Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Consumer Report 2007 Top Picks Dominated By Toyota and Honda

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Site Founder
Default Consumer Report 2007 Top Picks Dominated By Toyota and Honda

Consumer Reports magazine on Wednesday released its top picks for new cars based on its own testing, reported reliability by a survey of car owners and government safety rankings. For the second time in the 10-year history of the list, all of the magazine's top picks were Japanese. In addition, 55 of the 59 used car models recommended by the magazine were Japanese, again dominated by Toyota and Honda…
Toyota's RAV4 and Highlander Hybrid were named best small and mid-sized sport utility vehicles. Consumer Reports also honored the Toyota Sienna as best minivan and Toyota's hybrid Prius as best "green" car for the fourth consecutive year.
http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...28/038631.html

Old 03-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Consumer Report 2007 Top Picks Dominated By Toyota and Honda

I'm glad you posted this. We got our issue this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised by the positive, hybrid content. I can remember when Consumer Reports used to complain that you couldn't get your money back with fuel savings in a hybrid. Now, hybrids are listed just like any other car . . . except with superior MPG.

Bob Wilson

Old 03-11-2007, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I'm glad you posted this. We got our issue this weekend and I was pleasantly surprised by the positive, hybrid content. I can remember when Consumer Reports used to complain that you couldn't get your money back with fuel savings in a hybrid. Now, hybrids are listed just like any other car . . . except with superior MPG.

Bob Wilson
They still believe that.

However, they aren't opposed to the benefits of driving a hybrid. If they don't like hybrids,why is it that the Highlander Hybrid has been the top pick for the SUV's $25,000 and above for a 3rd year? And what about the Prius? What about the Camry Hybrid, the highest rated 4-cylinder family car that they can recommend. And don't forget about teh Lexus RX400h, which is one of the few SUV's to score an excellent rating.

CR is not against hybrids, they just test cars based upon what the average customer wants.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast

They also don't think that one won't be able to recoupe the extra money spent on hybrids, they did a wrong equation when figuring out how much money one would save, or spend extra on.

After the revised equation, people with a Prius or a Civic hybrid could recoupe any money loss.

Plus, CR isn't hypermiling. = )

Old 03-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Consumer Report 2007 Top Picks Dominated By Toyota and Honda

Originally Posted by Kumfy Kitty
They also don't think that one won't be able to recoupe the extra money spent on hybrids, they did a wrong equation when figuring out how much money one would save, or spend extra on.

After the revised equation, people with a Prius or a Civic hybrid could recoupe any money loss.

Plus, CR isn't hypermiling. = )
Those equations are dependent upon the hybrid premium versus the price of gas. Increased supply and higher gas prices are making this a moot question combined with gas price that keep going up.

Gasoline is an operational expense, one that keeps on taking week after week. The capital expense is a one-time event at the time of purchase. Long after the sweet taste of a cheap purchase has been forgotten, the bitter taste at the pump comes back and back again.

Bob Wilson