Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

G.M. Will Close 4 Plants, May Sell "Hummer"

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: G.M. Will Close 4 Plants, May Sell "Hummer"

Some people just want to bash Detroit auto-makers no matter what they do.

GM decides to massively cut-back on big trucks, is interested in getting rid of Hummer, increase production of small cars, and set a firm production date for the Volt and they get bashed for it? I for one (who don't own _any_ GM cars) think it's a fantastic step in the right direction, applaud, and encourage them to keep making more decisions like this.

As for Toyota... I own a Prius, but let's be reasonable here. It lacks front-seat legroom and is not a good car for anyone much over 6' tall. It's also the _only_ car they can really brag about. The HyHy was all about improved 'power' and 'acceleration' (I must be out of touch with everyone else... but when I go hybrid shopping it's ALL about improved fuel economy.) and even the Ford Escape Hybrid gets better city fuel economy than the Camry hybrid. A hybrid SUV from Detroit is getting better city fuel economy than a mid-size hybrid passenger car from Japan.

I'm not saying Toyota products are garbage (I own one). But let's get realistic... everything that comes from Japan is NOT automatically better than everything that comes from Detroit.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Site Founder

Why are we applauding the Volt, again?

Old 06-09-2008, 04:23 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Originally Posted by Jason
Why are we applauding the Volt, again?
Beats me! With GM's track record on innovation, I just flat-out refuse to believe any claim they make until I can test-drive it at the dealer. It's too bad they wasted a billion dollars developing a Fool Cell SUV that costs a million dollars each.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:48 PM
Great Mileage and Green

I'd be quite happy to see good healthy competition between GM and Toyota to build the best line up of fuel efficient cars, and I'd be equally pleased no matter which one can out on top. Maybe they both would and the ingenuity and resources would sure help get the guzzlers, no matter who made them, off the road.