Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Honda to Cut Civic Hybrid Costs by 1/3

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda to Cut Civic Hybrid Costs by 1/3

Originally Posted by toast64
You mean that you run about 30kwh a day, which runs about $100 per month (900 kwh per month, 9 cents per kwh). Correct?
i'll try to get some numbers off my last bill online....

# Of Days 30
kWh usage 1233
avg. daily kWh: 41
total current bill: $118.19

dang, it's hard to transfer formatting...

yep: dollars per kwh = 0.095855+ Welcome to North Carolina.....

this is the generator i bought... http://www.guardiangenerators.com/pr...rce30_40kw.asp

running the whole house at one time it's at roughly 80% of capacity.

how's my math?

Last edited by plusaf; 06-02-2006 at 05:56 PM. Reason: formatting died on transfer from web site.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by plusaf
Wow. Well I dare say you won't have to worry much about power outages with that baby! Do you live near the ocean, concerned about hurricanes? I don't think I'd ever be able to talk myself into that kind of investment, but once I have to endure a power outage for more than a couple of hours I'll be kicking myself for not doing it!

Old 06-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toast64
Wow. Well I dare say you won't have to worry much about power outages with that baby! Do you live near the ocean, concerned about hurricanes? I don't think I'd ever be able to talk myself into that kind of investment, but once I have to endure a power outage for more than a couple of hours I'll be kicking myself for not doing it!
LOL!
I'm a graduate of the Brick Outhouse School of Engineering.... if you can do it, why not over-do it....

plus, i can sell power to my neighbors... maybe two or three of them...

we're in Raleigh, well inland, but power has been known to go out for days at a time during REALLY bad winter AND summer storms.... as everyone we've met since we've moved here last September has made sure to tell us.

(actually, they taught me overdesign at RPI... right after showing us the Tacoma Narrows bridge falling... designed by an RPI grad before certain facts about torsional rigidity and resonance factors were well known. they learned.... an RPI grad also designed the first Ferris Wheel.... a guy named "Ferris", i believe....

ps... that baby has a 3.0 Liter Ford V-6 inside it... same as the one i had in my '97 Taurus, it looks like... engine ran fine... car started to break at 30k miles....

Last edited by plusaf; 06-03-2006 at 10:01 PM. Reason: add a point
Old 10-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda to cut Civic Hybrid costs by 1/3

Originally Posted by Tim
Very cool! Sounds like Honda and Toyota are trying to go toe-to-toe in the battle for hybrid leader. Good for all of us!
And once again the Detroit is battling over which of its money losing companies can make the biggest, ugliest, most polluting, and obnoxious SUV. Just once I would love to see a U.S. auto maker get something right.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda to cut Civic Hybrid costs by 1/3

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Makes you wonder if the first hybrid built in America will be a Civic (the hybrid components of the Ford Escape are built by Volvo).

In the next few years, the performance aspect of hybrids could be improved (more cylinder deactivation, moving away from steel frames...)
the toyota camry hybrid is assembled in america is it not? I went on a tour of the TMK plant and they said they were getting ready to gear up to assemble the hybrid there for this model year.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Yes, twuelfing, I believe that is correct. The plan was to start with TCHs assembled overseas in May and then starting in October, they would be made in a plant in Kentucky. I assume that is the TMK plant you visited (?). You probably have more direct information than me, though, so please share what you know if you can. All I have been able to determine is that it isn't a union plant, and that none of the other hybrids are built at union plants, either. Argh!

Old 11-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

TMK = Toyota Motorworks Kentucky

this plant is massive, they make the camery, solara and a convertable solara there.

the convertable is much more hand built and is pulled from the assembly line to get the convertable components put in.

the solaras are made on the same line as the camrys. They even alternate colors and dash convigurations on the same line. There are robots that deliver parts to the various stations.

its true that its non-union, but most japaneese based companies operating here run non-union plants. They pay about 24 bucks per hour with similar benefits to what the unions have, just no collective representation. They are very strict about attendance. If you miss a few days your gone and they hire someone else to take your place.
They multi-train people to perform as many duties on the line as possible.
They are very focused on worker confort. They have some very innovative work stations
the training line runs next to the line and people get to train for many hours before actually working on a real car
any employee can stop the line by hitting a button, then a supervisor comes over to inspect the issue and restart the line
they build the motors onsite in the engine works (we didnt get to see that part)
they mold all the body panels there too, plastic and metal.
they are a very green facility, recycling gray water and composting waste
there are pool tables in the facility for break time

I could go on for hours

i recommend that you sign up and go on a tour, also tour the honda plant in Ohio (way smaller) and the subaru plant in indiana.

If you have any questions about the operation at the factory please let me know. I will tell you what I saw. Funny enough I went for my bachelor party (this will give you some indication of what kind of person I am, i am facinated by material handling, labor issues and automation) there is no better place for me than an auto factory. Luckily i have gotten to work in the material handling field before.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Enthusiast

Still in a quandry,
2002 Toyota Prius Classic vs 2003 Honda Civic EX Hybrid (5 spd)
2002 Prius 38 mpg for 30 mi trip vs ? mpg for 15 (how do you know MPG - looking at the bar on the bottom of the gauges? The Honda was more fun for me to drive (like the stick).
They look similar with regard to greenhouse gas emissions. Prius appears to get better gas mileage. Right now I tend to like the Honda.
What about Diesels? I understand that mileage is comparable, and CO2 emissons have been reduced. Will it become the car of the future since it can burn about anything.