Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Honda Develops Hybrid Scooter Prototype

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Site Founder

Honda has developed a 50cc hybrid scooter prototype that offers reduced emissions, exceptional fuel economy, and ample storage space. Employing both an internal combustion engine and an electric motor, the new prototype takes Honda one step closer to a mass-market hybrid scooter.

The new prototype features an alternating current generator (ACG) with an idle stop function and the Honda PGM-FI electronic fuel injection system. In addition to an electronically controlled belt converter and a range of Honda environmental technologies, the new scooter features a dual series and parallel hybrid powertrain with a direct rear-wheel drive electric motor. Thanks to a compact power system and a rechargeable nickel hydrogen battery located under the front cowl, the hybrid scooter is about the same size as the Dio Z4, a standard-size 50cc scooter, and is only 10 kg heavier.

View entire article here.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

I was thinking about this very thing just the other day. Awesome idea.

Now if someone will just come up with a Personal Transport Vehicle. Why not fully enclose a 2,3 or 4 wheeler to make it an all weather (except maybe snow) PTV? A PTV would get great mileage. Being fully enclosed in a roll cage would be a lot safer than a regular motorcycle. I'd love to have a single seat car with just enough room for me and some stuff, or perhaps room for 2 front and back not side by side. If a PTV was half the width of a standard vehicle the air drag would be also in half. If you needed more room longer versions could be built with in line seating to reduce drag. It would look cool too, like something from the Bonniville salt flats, long and skinny like a rocket car.

Old 08-25-2004, 02:41 PM
Site Founder

They have prototypes of the sort. I think Toyota/Lexus has one. Not coming to the market, though

Old 08-26-2004, 03:00 PM
CLA
Enthusiast

A couple of thoughts on a Honda hybrid scooter.
We do not get out of the USA much, but recently we were in Barcelona. We saw many more Honda scooters on the streets than Honda cars. A hybrid scooter would build on Honda's strength in that kind of market.
While we saw more environmentally friendly utilities in Europe, the environment can take a backseat to what people like, just like in the USA. Europeans might ride high mileage scooters, but they like good acceleration. So they go for two stroke engines, never mind the air pollution. If a manufacture builds a cleaner burning four stroke, they have to offer good acceleration. Does Honda's hybrid scooter offer good low end torque?

Old 05-21-2005, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Develops Hybrid Scooter Prototype

Originally Posted by lakedude
Now if someone will just come up with a Personal Transport Vehicle. Why not fully enclose a 2,3 or 4 wheeler to make it an all weather (except maybe snow) PTV? A PTV would get great mileage. Being fully enclosed in a roll cage would be a lot safer than a regular motorcycle. I'd love to have a single seat car with just enough room for me and some stuff, or perhaps room for 2 front and back not side by side. If a PTV was half the width of a standard vehicle the air drag would be also in half. If you needed more room longer versions could be built with in line seating to reduce drag. It would look cool too, like something from the Bonniville salt flats, long and skinny like a rocket car.
I'm going to show my age here, but I remember going to Epcot in Florida when I was in college and seeing a vehical called the Lean Machine in the GM pavilion. Here's a website that talks about it:

http://www.maxmatic.com/ttw_leanmachine.htm

The better pictures are at the bottom of the web page. I've wanted one of these ever since I saw it in person. I sometimes marvel the US automakers can come up with brilliant ideas, but can't find a way to follow through on them. This was 1983 and they were getting a claimed 120 MPG! Maybe we should send this weblink to Honda and Toyota, they seem a bit more willing to take a chance.

Old 05-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Site Founder

Interesting. Since I live in Orlando I go to Epcot relatively often. They have Segways, which you can find from The Sharper Image. Now, those are cool.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by tech weenie
I'm going to show my age here, but I remember going to Epcot in Florida when I was in college and seeing a vehical called the Lean Machine in the GM pavilion.
I'm old enough to remember the Lean Machine as well. Never seen one in person but they were in an ole Popular Science/Mechanics a while back.