Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Honda has its eye on a new hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 07:46 AM
Site Founder
Default Honda has its eye on a new hybrid

Honda said Wednesday that it plans to introduce a small, inexpensive gas-electric hybrid car and new diesel-powered vehicles by 2009 in the latest indication of how automakers are responding to high gasoline prices…

Through its moves toward more-fuel-efficient cars, Honda hopes to raise its U.S. corporate average fuel economy to 30.6 miles per gallon by 2010. The company averaged 29.2 miles per gallon in 2005.
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...t_x.htm?csp=34

Old 05-20-2006, 06:39 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Honda has its eye on a new hybrid

Too bad there won't be a FIT hybrid. On the bright side, if Honda is designing a new hybrid from scratch, maybe it will have a true EV mode like the Prius.

Old 05-23-2006, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

What? No Fit Hybrid? Where/when did you hear this? I've been hearing rumors for months know (all second hand though) that we would probably see a FH in 07/08.

Oh well, I'm thrilled that they're looking at Diesel as an alternative. Shows their being open minded about some other possibilities. Now they just need to start combining these things like Voltron and they'll be unstoppable. An EV/Diesel Hybrid or EV/E85 Hybrid, or even better a Hydrogen/EV Hybrid.

BP

Old 05-23-2006, 05:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Um, you're asking where he heard this? It's in the link provided. Here's the quote:

Honda didn't rule out other emerging alternative-fuel technologies, such as vehicles that can burn E85, the 85% ethanol blend that is being embraced in Detroit.

For now, though, it's sticking to what it knows best. Dashing speculation that Honda might create a hybrid version of its new Fit subcompact, the new Japanese-built hybrid will be an entirely different model.
I'm glad that Honda isn't going to rest on its laurels, and will continue to innovate. More hybrid options means more people who will find a hybrid that meets their needs, and ramping up fleet averages when your average already exceeds the minimums is laudable. I'm also very encouraged by the mention of the plant being built in the Midwest. It helps with the 'buy-American' contingent- just one more thing to promote to mainstream American car-buyeres.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:47 AM
Just getting rolling ...

Through its moves toward more-fuel-efficient cars, Honda hopes to raise its U.S. corporate average fuel economy to 30.6 miles per gallon by 2010. The company averaged 29.2 miles per gallon in 2005.
How are these numbers achieved? Average of all cars sold or simply by one of each car in their lineup?

Old 07-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Proudest Monkey

A Fit hybrid seems like such a natural evolution to me. I'm impressed with the Fit as is, but a hybri would make it even more attractive. That aside, I'm also glad to see that Honda is also toying with diesel.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:46 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Originally Posted by Atomic Frog
A Fit hybrid seems like such a natural evolution to me. I'm impressed with the Fit as is, but a hybri would make it even more attractive. That aside, I'm also glad to see that Honda is also toying with diesel.
If Honda is designing an entry-level "family" sedan hybrid from scratch, it's probably going to be midway in size between the cuttent Civic and the Fit.

Of course, I'm wondering what kind of IMA it's going to have. Since it's a 100% redesign, will it have an EV mode? I can only hope so!

Old 11-22-2006, 03:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

there is a Honda plant being installed a few miles south of where I live as we speak. I live on the west side of Indianapolis and the plant in going in south of Indianapolis.

this will be great for the local job market as the average job there pays 24 bucks per hour. With our low housing costs here ( my house is 2400 sqft and cost me 110,000 and its 3 years old) this pay is very good for the skill level / education required.

I hope they assemble hybrids there. We have a Toyota truck plant a Toyota forklift plant and a Subaru plant here, which toyota occupies part of. That plant is near Purdue university where I went to school. They give very good tours.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:46 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

According to Honda, all hybrid production will remain in Japan (for the next few years) until such time that capacity (among other concerns) warrants the retooling of other plants outside the country.

Cheers;

MSantos