Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Hybrids could join taxi fleets

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 AM
Site Founder
Default Hybrids could join taxi fleets

More progress in New York City...
The [New York] city Taxi & Limousine Commission yesterday made way for six car models that hacks will soon be able to convert into taxis, in a move touted as a boon for clean air and higher fuel efficiency...

The six taxi commissioners at yesterday's meeting did not vote to approve the cars, but rather directed agency officials to draft a set of rules permitting them. Those are likely to be drafted by the end of the summer, and the commission is expected to pass them in early September...

Besides the Lexus, the other vehicles are the Ford Explorer/ Mercury Mariner, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Prius, Honda Accord and Honda Civic.
http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news...c-nynews-print

Old 07-27-2005, 12:52 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrids could join taxi fleets

I don't know why they make such a huge deal about legroom? I'm 6'2" and fit perfectly in the back seat of a Prius (I+II) and I can tell you I have long legs, and long upper body. Other cars headroom (even in the driver's seat) can really be an issue, but the Prius is generous, I think the Prius I actually has slightly more rear seat headroom because it's not sloped back.

I think for most people a hybrid taxi will do just fine, but maybe the odd person will complain, but really I don't see what the big deal is. I see all sorts of cars around here as taxis, some seem rather strange, like a Corolla... Seems funny that they would lock taxi drivers into one model in the first place.

Old 07-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

The return of the yellow Escape, only in NYC taxi yellow!

Old 07-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Banned
Red face Is It Really a Width Issue?

Originally Posted by Schwa
I don't know why they make such a huge deal about legroom? I'm 6'2" and fit perfectly in the back seat of a Prius (I+II) and I can tell you I have long legs, and long upper body....
Supersized (i.e. obese) Americans has been in the news. You may have noticed that means some have to adjust the seat back. It's more noticable in smaller cars (part of my theory why SUV sales increased in recent years).

I think the issue is will the taxis comfortably accomodate the large segment of the NYC population?

Old 07-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

Why not just put pressure on Ford to create a hybrid Crown Victoria?

Old 07-28-2005, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by taestell
Why not just put pressure on Ford to create a hybrid Crown Victoria?
Maybe you should be in Ford's boardroom, as Detroit seems mentally bankrupt.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast

I know that convincing Ford wouldn’t be an easy task, but since 90% of taxis and police cars in the US and Canada are Ford Crown Victorias, it seems like NYC T&LC would have some leverage. A hybrid CV would be more fuel-efficient than a hybrid Escape.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

think about the way these idiots drive, is a hybrid really going to help. I can make my hybrid get just as bad FE as a floored suburban if I load it full of passengers and floor it everywhere, brake hard, etc.

I would like to support the idea, but it seems they would also need to provide driving classes for the drivers to be able to drive one.

On the other hand, I think it would be a great way for manufacturers to do some more studys on high mileage hybrids, or even on hybrid performance in general. Maybe the outcome would be a hybrid that a cabbie could drive and still get impressive gas mileage. Then they could release it to the public and we could all drive like cabbies.

Ok, im just rambling now, im done.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wwjdrv
think about the way these idiots drive, is a hybrid really going to help. I can make my hybrid get just as bad FE as a floored suburban if I load it full of passengers and floor it everywhere, brake hard, etc.....
I was anticipating bad reviews on the 1st SUV hybrid if it worked like Honda's IMA. Honda hybrid folks know that if you do continous lead-foot driving, the vehicle will recall - puttting a drastic end to agressive driving for the next twenty minutes while the batteries recharge.

I would not mind these types driving a hybrid Suburban, but you know they would not take responsibility for running the battery down.

Old 07-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Enthusiast

Saw this on the yahoo groups prius_technical_stuff list...

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/thrifty.htm

Mentions a Prius used as a taxi in Canada with 332,000km (206,000 miles or so) on it. Toyota wanted it back so they could strip it down and check everything out.

I really hope this goes through closer to home as the article suggests.

Quick Reply: Hybrids could join taxi fleets

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands