Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

S.F. first U.S. city to adopt hybrid SUVs for taxi service

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:54 PM
Site Founder
Default S.F. first U.S. city to adopt hybrid SUVs for taxi service

The City turned a shade greener Tuesday when it became the first metropolis in the United States with hybrid sport utility vehicles in the taxicab fleet. The first hybrid-electric SUV to be released, the 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, recently joined the San Francisco fleets of Yellow Cab Cooperative and Luxor Cab Co.

As he stood in front of a row of the 15 SUVs, San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom welcomed the Escape Hybrids and praised the environmental qualities of the vehicle during a Tuesday roll-out ceremony at Civic Center Plaza downtown.
- http://www.insidebayarea.com/review/ci_2582294

Old 02-23-2005, 02:34 PM

How are FEH's in stop and go trafic? I wouldn't think they would be great as taxi cabs.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default AutoStop, 36 MPG City means it should be great

Originally Posted by tbaleno
How are FEH's in stop and go trafic? I wouldn't think they would be great as taxi cabs.
I think they would be great for that, with AutoStop and the 36 MPG City rating, twice that of the Crown Vics they are replacing.

The article says the drivers (who pay for their own gas) will save up to $2,000 per year on fuel costs!! Good for them !!!

Old 03-06-2005, 09:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default my experience driving FEH cabs

I drive for one of the companies in San Francisco that has a few FEHs. I've had the chance to drive one twice. The first time out I got something like 27MPG (taking it easy on the throttle, hadn't discovered the trip computer yet.) The second time I averaged about 34, which included several freeway trips (no more than 62MPH) and also a lot of attempts at optimizing. If you don't have traffic behind you to deal with on flat stretches, you can deal with block-by-block stop signs without having the engine kick in very much.

Bearing that in mind, if you were to try and drive the thing like a cab driver normally would, especially considering SF's hills, I would expect around 25. Other drivers who drive them regularly tell me they're now paying $10/day vs. $20+ with the Crown Vics.

side note - the day after my second shift with the FEH I experimented with shutting the engine of the Crown Vic off at lights, coasting down hills in neutral, accelerating ve-e-ery slowly from stops etc., and couldn't do better than 16 or so.

-ben

Old 03-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Default passenger complaints?

Any passenger complaints or comments about the FEH being a taxi, instead of the larger "boat type" cars?

Old 03-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Enthusiast

I've had no negative comments and a lot of positive ones. A lot of people say it's easier to enter/exit the Escape, and that it feels roomier once they're inside. A few are interested in hearing about the technology (as much of it as I'm able to describe, anyway.)

Old 03-08-2005, 06:00 AM
Default Good info

Originally Posted by sftaxi
I've had no negative comments and a lot of positive ones. A lot of people say it's easier to enter/exit the Escape, and that it feels roomier once they're inside. A few are interested in hearing about the technology (as much of it as I'm able to describe, anyway.)
Thanks for the info Ben. You are helping me prove a point on another forum !!

Old 03-08-2005, 06:12 AM

Hi Sftaxi:

___Thank you for your real world experiences. I don’t think anyone would have a problem with comfort over a 10 - 20 minute ride but I assume you are in the driver seat for 8, 10, 12 or more hours. How does it feel to you is the more important question?

___Secondly, the FE you are receiving sounds phenomenal given your location. **** fine job if I say so myself! Most Crown Vic driver’s in and around the Chicago area are either bashing the binders or on the Accelerator at WOT with not much in between by the looks of it. Even out on the Tollway they are usually running 70 - 75 with our 55 mph limits.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 03-08-2005, 07:36 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default we're on to you, Lars!

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Thanks for the info Ben. You are helping me prove a point on another forum !!
Oh Lars, you are so transparent :-)

As soon as I saw your question to sftaxi, I knew *exactly* where you were going with it. I could almost picture you physically carrying the response over to the "other forum" and presenting it proudly to you-know-who.

:-) :-)

Old 03-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Default Well, it IS hard being RIGHT so darn much !!! :)

Sometimes being right all the time (or at least a lot of the time) is a burden.