Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Sporty Hybrids? Toyota considering getting back into sports car market, with possible

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Site Founder
Default Sporty Hybrids? Toyota considering getting back into sports car market, with possible

For all the r&d money that Toyota Motor Corp. spends on Formula One racing, it has little to show for it in the showroom. The Toyota, Lexus and Scion lineups lack sports cars.

But Toyota is considering getting back into sporty cars - with a hybrid twist.

While its mass-market competitors have asphalt-blistering sporty cars, Toyota has stayed on the sidelines since killing its Supra in 2000 and MR2 Spyder last year.

The sportiest cars in the lineups are the Scion tC coupe, which replaced the Toyota Celica last year, the Toyota Camry Solara and Lexus SC 430.

Jim Press, COO of Toyota Motor Sales U.S.A. Inc., acknowledges that Toyota lacks sporty cars. He says they are difficult for the automaker because sporty cars are "not in our DNA."
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102288

Old 05-02-2005, 01:28 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sporty Hybrids? Toyota considering getting back into sports car market, with possible

I particularly enjoyed this statement:

"In March, Toyota Prius sales almost matched the combined sales of the Nissan 350Z, Mazda RX-8, Chevrolet Corvette, Pontiac GTO and Honda S2000."

Old 05-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Prius geek
Default Re: Sporty Hybrids? Toyota considering getting back into sports car market, with possible

Nice, I like to hear that. Means the environment and conservation are starting to make people think about their needs versus wants. Also the falling SUV market is showing that people do want (and need) better fuel efficiency. It's not a fad, it's a way of life. No time like the present to conserve and go green!

Old 05-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Site Founder

Two friends at school today decided to start up a "conversation" about why hybrids aren't as "good" as Mercedes sportscars. I couldn't believe the absurdity of their arguments. They seemed to take only one thing into consideration: perfomance, and threw everything else out the window. 600 horsepower isn't the only thing that makes a car "better" for everyone.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I think the Volta concept was a real push in this direction. I think we'll probably see a new version of the MR2 ( though i thought they had already stated doing so?) Jason, i feel you with the absurdity of ppl. I swear...no-one likes a drivers car, they just want something that goes fast in a strait line. I'd love to take a spin in a Smart Roadster, i'd have my fun and gas milage to. (brings up memories of the John Cooper works mini's [orignals], yah, they didnt have that much horsepower, but they had SO much else going for them)

Old 05-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

R5 turbo hybrid

2.0 liter diesel (150hp) + electric (50hp) with a 2,000 curb weight

that would be fun and should get 38-70 mpg depending on how much EV mode is used or application of the gas pedal

Last edited by iboomalot; 05-03-2005 at 09:36 AM.