Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Toyota to Manufacture Hybrid Camry in US

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Site Founder

AFX. The Daily Yomiuri reports that Toyota Motor Corp plans to produce Camry hybrids in the US.

According to the report, Toyota will export the engine and hybrid systems from Japan to its assembly plant in Kentucky.

View entire article here.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:23 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___I saw this article yesterday and have heard rumors about the Camry being hybridized for well over a year now. What I want to know are the details. If you see anything, please respond to this thread as will I.

___I would love to see the Corolla’s 1.8 L PZEV’ed, Atkinsonized, and hybridized w/ HSD in a std. Camry LE/XLE myself. I am currently looking at Accord’s (non-hybrid) and can pick up some absolutely crazy deals (I4 - PZEV based 4-door Sedan - EX-L w/ NAVI for ~ $23,300) and given it is cleaner then the PZEV based Prius II or HCH as well as the mileage I have achieved when test driving one, only the Camry Hybrid if properly equipped would be a better overall solution. I just wonder how late into 2006 it will arrive and what kind of prices we will see for it?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota to Manufacture Hybrid Camry in US

Nikkei News reports that Toyota has decided to start building the long-expected gasoline-electric hybrid version of the Camry in the US sometime in the second half of 2006.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Prius <3r

This was mentioned in the "Wired" magazine article on hybrids about 2-3 months ago. I'd like to see it, but at the same time I think that the reason the Prius is so successful is that it's a whole new car. That was a big influence on me when buying it, the Civic is nice and all, but to me it's still a Civic, and it just didn't really catch my eye because of that reality. Maybe a Camry will sell well for the opposite reason, though, it's a Camry and everyone knows it and loves it.

Old 05-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Banned

MSNBC Story

Old 05-16-2005, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

What engine will be on the camery hybrid.. V4 or V6???

Old 05-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi SuperCharged:

___I have been following this story for over a year now and I have seen nothing on what it will include. I am actually very surprised that we haven’t seen a single detail other then it will be built around HSD to date. I have a feeling Toyota will re-configure the CVT to take advantage of an ICE only - highway mode very soon. The 07 Camry Hybrid might be the time for that little tweak?

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 05-17-2005, 06:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by xcel
I have a feeling Toyota will re-configure the CVT to take advantage of an ICE only - highway mode very soon. The 07 Camry Hybrid might be the time for that little tweak?
Why would Toyota add an engine-only mode?

troy

Last edited by ElectricTroy; 05-17-2005 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

By the commercials that Toyota has been playing lately I thought that all of the vehicles they manufacture are all done in the US. Guess that is not the case? I also understand that Toyota makes the majority of its money from Trucks and the ilk. Too bad they don't make fewer trucks and more small cars.

Old 05-23-2005, 04:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Maybe thats what the consumer wants and or needs.Kevin

Quick Reply: Toyota to Manufacture Hybrid Camry in US

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands