Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Toyota tops hottest cars in America

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Site Founder
Default Toyota tops hottest cars in America

In a list of the 10 hottest cars now on the market, six of the 10 are products of the Toyota Motor Co. The Prius tops the list and all three of Toyota's low-priced Scion models are on the list, as well. Three of the cars, the Toyota Prius, Lexus RX400h and Ford Escape Hybrid, are gas-electric hybrid cars.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/03/16/hot_cars/index.html

Old 03-22-2006, 06:15 PM
Hybrid True Believer
Default Re: Toyota tops hottest cars in America

Yep... It would have been nice if the Civic Hybrid would have made the list. Alas, the Civic is sturdy, reliable, and affordable. But no one ever calls it "Hot", ha ha!

Old 03-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Kermit's Friend

Woo Hoo! The Ford Escape Hybrid made the list!
Hmmm, the Highlander Hybrid must be in the top 20....

Old 03-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Seems like a kind of funny way to measure hotness, by looking at:

"Actual selling prices closest to the vehicle's full sticker price; lowest amounts in rebates or other sales incentives; shortest times spent on dealer lots before being snapped up by buyers."

The shortest time on the lot thing works for me as a measure of how popular the car is, although the article points out that this can depend on whether a particular car is usually preordered because it's very customizable. But comparing selling price to sticker? Is pricy the same as hot? Anything could end up being called hot, then, if the price point isn't figured properly when they set MSRP but buyers still end up with negotiated prices from dealers who have a better idea of what the market will bear.

I'm not saying that the car companies don't understand the market... hey, wait. Maybe I am saying that. Look at how long it's taken many of them to start making hybrids! Look at the downsizing and cutbacks! So I guess this also means that people think the Prius (and two other hybrids) are, on balance, worth more than other cars. No surprise there!