Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Catalytic Converter problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Catalytic Converter problem

Yesterday my "check engine light" went on so I took it to the Honda Dealer in Newton, N.J. They tell me that I need a new CAT and the price of the part is $900. I currently have 89,500 miles on the vehicle so no warranty will cover it.
My car has had regular service without fail and it even got the computer software update. As I plan on driving this car at least another two years (I still have two years worth of payments to go) am I looking at another CAT replacment at 175,000 miles? The service manager told me he is going to "talk to his rep" when he sees him next week.

F.Y.I. I get between 45 and 50 MPG and am extremely happy with the car other than this CAT "problem".

Old 03-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Default Re: Catalytic Converter problem

A few people have had their cats replaced for minimal cost. One of the computer updates was to prevent the cat from going bad. I think it is likely that you should get off pretty easy with this. If the dealer doesn't do anything go up the chain. I'm sure someone at honda will okay replacing it at a reasonable cost (if anything).

Old 03-03-2006, 12:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

I am now on the 3rd cat on my honda insight.

Take your car to a PRIVATE mechanic and have them test the o2 sensors. I bet thats the cause. Read my story on the honda sucks website, i have the pictures of what the readouts of a bad 02 sensor is and what a good 02 senor is

Good luck

Originally Posted by wjanulin
Yesterday my "check engine light" went on so I took it to the Honda Dealer in Newton, N.J. They tell me that I need a new CAT and the price of the part is $900. I currently have 89,500 miles on the vehicle so no warranty will cover it.
My car has had regular service without fail and it even got the computer software update. As I plan on driving this car at least another two years (I still have two years worth of payments to go) am I looking at another CAT replacment at 175,000 miles? The service manager told me he is going to "talk to his rep" when he sees him next week.

F.Y.I. I get between 45 and 50 MPG and am extremely happy with the car other than this CAT "problem".

Old 03-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Engineering Professor

Catalytic and CVT problems have been reported before on the HCH. Take a look at:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...6d.ef3e4a5/435
(see #455)

There was an alert about the engine running too lean causing catalytic failures.

JeffD