Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Greetings

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast

I just discovered this forum yesterday, good stuff in here. I bought the HCH about 2 months ago, currently at 6500 miles (missed 5000 mile service, happening thursday)

I bought the HCH for one reason.....HOV usage (that and my lincoln's transmission was dying), here in Washington DC the traffic is up in the top 3 worst in the country... I drive 44 miles each way to work with 40 of it on I-95 (aka parking lot) If you own a hybrid here in DC you can use the HOV lanes....the amount of time I save is tremendous.

Mileage has not been all that impressive, but I tend to have a lead foot, as I said I bought this car for HOV usage, not mileage (the clean emmisions and gas mileage is just an added bonus) I have just found this site so I am going to try and match some of these incredible figures that some are getting...it is just SOOOO hard to roll that SLOW lol

edit: Interesting observation... The HOV lane I drive in every day is HOV3, yet a good 50% (or more) of the vehicles on it are single people in Hybrids.....tell me there isn't something wrong with the system?

Old 05-26-2004, 11:51 PM
Enthusiast

I am new to the board as well and recently bought a HCH two weeks ago. With all the driving that I do and the way gas prices are in California, a hybrid seemed to be a good choice. Put on about 300 miles so far and averaging 35 mpg. Not stellar, but old driving habits are hard to break! I'm certainly going to try out the tips for better mileage that I have read on this site. Also keeping a close eye on legislation out here allowing hybrids in the carpool lane. Passed by the house, now on to the senate!

Old 05-27-2004, 12:40 AM
Contributor ($)

videian

First, welcome to the site and the message boards. I'm sure you'll find many good tips here. You're right that old habits die hard when it comes to driving.

Interesting observation... The HOV lane I drive in every day is HOV3, yet a good 50% (or more) of the vehicles on it are single people in Hybrids.....tell me there isn't something wrong with the system?
I've always struggled with the idea of Hybrids in the HOV lanes. It's not an option here in Wisconsin, but I'm torn about wether allowing hybrids in HOV lanes really is in line with the reason HOV lanes were created in the first place. If HOV lanes were created to lessen congestion, the a hybrid in the HOV lane with a single occupant doesn't make sense. If HOV lanes were created to lessen emissions, well then there are other vehicles that are non-hybrid vehicles that are as clean as, or cleaner than some hybrids.

In any case, I'm glad that it helped you make the decision to buy a hybrid. Feel free to use a bit of that extra time you've gained, to share your views with us on the boards.

Old 05-28-2004, 11:25 AM
Enthusiast

around here with traffic as bad as it is, the rule of more people to a vehicle should be the reason for HOV. If the road was HOV2 it would be used very well in that way. However it is HOV3...it is somewhat difficult to find 3 people going to the same place at the same time every day.....in my opinion the system does not work very well at all

My boss and I live about 10 miles a day, if the rules had been different I probably never would have bought the hybrid.....but I will reap the benefits as long as I can