Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

New member intro

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 10:16 PM
EdW
Enthusiast
Default New member intro

First off, thanks to Jason for creating this site.

I'm Ed, and I'm from a sleepy little town in southern Illinois. I'm planning to trade up to an '04+ Prius in another year or so. I'll be driving my '98 Grand Prix until then.

A little about myself: I'm going to be a student at Barnes-Jewish College of Nursing & Allied Health beginning this August. I'll be going for a Master of Allied Health degree with a concentration in management. I'll probably work for Barnes hospital or Missouri Baptist hospital, both fairly large.

My interests are mainly medical science and anything technology-related. I spend plenty of hours every week reading about both. I run a small computer consulting business on the side, while juggling my classes and my day job as an office manager. I like jazz and also play the piano.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'll be hanging around here quite a bit, most likely.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

EdW,

Welcome to the site. You can find so much information here it can be intimidating, but if you read all you can find there is much to learn.

Hope you enjoy the site and good luck looking for your new car.

Billy

Old 02-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Contributor ($)

EdW,
Good to have you here. Have you thought about posting your Grand Prix in the Real mileage database? It would give you some practice for when you get that Prius.
Also, you still can use some of the driving techniques hybrid owners implement in order to get better gas mileage in your current car.
Good luck.

Old 02-23-2005, 11:52 AM
Site Founder

Ed, you're quite welcome. Glad you found GreenHybrid. Make yourself at home!

Old 02-23-2005, 04:25 PM
EdW
Enthusiast

I may add my car to the mileage database. I was reading through a bunch of the posts about the mileage--how people work so hard only to have other people lower the mileage. I definitely know the feeling! I usually feather the gas, but if I let someone else drive my car, it's returned to me with the trip computer showing a few less MPG than before. And my car takes premium gas.

Anywho, thanks for the welcome. I'll be seeing you all around.

Old 02-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Welcome!

Welcome. I think you will highly enjoy the Prius when you finally get one. Sounds like you are thinking about buying used. I have this bad feeling that when you do go out and buy used the prices will be rather high. I suspect a pretty strong resale value which means high used prices. Depending on the mileage of the prospects you encounter in your purchase quest, you might be better of purchasing new.

Vouching for the Prius, it is a wonderful car. Mileage varies with use and driving technique, however you get excellent mileage no matter how you drive it, it is just a matter of how close you come to EPA estimates, which don't seem to reflect real driving conditions most of the time. The controlled state of EPA tests is very good, however the lead to numbers in hybrids which are hard to achieve in real life, except for the hypermilers. I'm not one of them.

I think I can speak for all of us when I say I look forward to any questions you have regarding the Prius.