Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Average age of Hybrid owners = 55 yrs old?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Average age of Hybrid owners = 55 yrs old?!?

Well said in a lot of areas Leah. You spurred me to some thoughtage:

Agreed that older people have more "disposable income." Agreed that hybrids are in general not cheap. Good used Priuses or HCHs can be had for $16-$17K these days, which prices out most "first time buyers."

It does not price out new college grads, though. Or a lot of people under 30.

Me personally, when I was 32 years old and making $26K a year I was driving a $20,000 car. I had no kids (one on the way though) and not really much disposable income at all.

But I knew I wanted a nice car and was willing to have a car payment in the high 400s every month.

Some people don't have that as a priority. Some people see transportation just as a chore, and want the lowest price vehicle that they like. To some people making twenty to thiry grand a year, a $400 car payment sounds ridiculous because they prioritize other items.

It just seems to me that there would be more people in their late 20s to early 30s who can see the benefit of a hybrid and afford a $500 car payment. Maybe I'm completely misjudging things.....

Old 09-06-2006, 06:31 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Average age of Hybrid owners = 55 yrs old?!?

Originally Posted by lars-ss
Me personally, when I was 32 years old and making $26K a year I was driving a $20,000 car.
You know, I was gearing up to say how things have changed since your day, then did the math and realized you're only 4 years older. I'll shut up now.