Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Car and Drive - positive Ford hybrid review

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:13 AM
Engineering first
Default Car and Drive - positive Ford hybrid review

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

The first thing you need to know about the 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid is that it’s the best mid-size hybrid sedan on the market. Yes, that’s right: it wipes the floor with the Toyota Camry hybrid.

Like the Camry, it mates a four-cylinder gasoline engine with two battery-driven electric motors and a continuously variable transmission. The Fusion has a 2.5-liter four-cylinder Atkinson-cycle engine that makes 156 hp and 136 lb-ft of torque. Although the Atkinson cycle, where the intake valve is held open longer during the intake stroke, is more efficient than the usual Otto cycle, it doesn’t produce as much power and torque. In a hybrid’s case, electric motors augment the gas engine so that acceleration isn’t compromised. Here, the hybrid system puts out a combined 191 hp.

Ford has worked hard to significantly improve the system in the Fusion over the one in the Escape hybrid. The trunk-mounted nickel-metal-hydride battery pack is smaller and lighter, for instance, and uses a different chemistry so that it doesn’t need a separate cooling system, simply drawing air in from the cabin to manage temperatures. The pack also produces 20 percent more power. Variable timing on the intake cam allows the vehicle to more seamlessly transition between electric and gas modes, according to Ford, and the Fusion can be driven up to 47 mph on electric power alone, depending on how leadfooted a driver is. Most hybrids can pull off the electric-only trick only as high as 25 mph or so.
. . .
A fair article, I'm surprised by Car and Driver. FYI, I do think this Ford hybrid is remarkable and serious Camry hybrid competition. I'll check with the local Ford dealer and find out when they might get one in.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-18-2008, 03:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Car and Drive - positive Ford hybrid review

Target date for retail sales is March 2010.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

March of 2010? That is terrible. I thought the Fusion H would be available in the spring of 2009. I have no sources for this, just an idea based on the car talk from the LA Auto Show.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

It is due to go on sale in the first half of 2009. Even better, the AC compressor is driven by electric motor instead of the ICE. You will now be able to stay cool while in EV mode. That has always been my primary problem with the Escape.

It is also one of the reasons I have a TCH. If Ford keeps improving like they have been, there might be one in my driveway when the times comes to replace the Pilot.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Oops! I intended to type March 2009 not 2010!

Old 12-19-2008, 03:58 AM
Active Enthusiast

I am really excited to see that the home team is selling a car that will set the new benchmark for current hybrid tech and performance! I was planning to by a Prius as the summer approaches, but I'm going to hold off now. I can drive my Civic a full week to and from work on a tank of gas and still get around 45 miles to the gallon. I might get a couple more miles to a gallon out of the Prius, but not much based on my style of driving. The range on the Fusion has me real interested.