Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

CNN: Toyota planning 10 more hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 09:57 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.
Default CNN: Toyota planning 10 more hybrids

Originally Posted by CNN Money

Toyota Motor Corp. plans to introduce 10 more gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles globally by early next decade in a push to boost total sales of hybrids to 1 million, a top Toyota U.S. executive said.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/03/Auto...push/index.htm

Old 08-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CNN: Toyota planning 10 more hybrids

By the end of this decade, Toyota plans for 25 percent of U.S. sales to be hybrid vehicles.
Excellent, I'm eagerly awaiting to see how well HSD can do in a small sub-compact car. My dream is a hybrid hatchback Yaris/Vitz that attempts to de-throne the Insight's mpg crown. Toyota has the resources to do it.

I don't know why, but I really like the look of the that Yaris/Vitz. It looks phenomenal for an MPV design.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast

That's great to hear! I have heard the 1 million and 25%mark from Toyota before, but hadn't heard 10 more lines. (Not counting the pseudo-rumor that all makes would be available in hybrid). I think this really shows a committment to the alternative auto market, compared to say domestic manufacturers.

On a related note, what is Honda's short-term plan for hybrids? I really havent' heard much of anything in the press about their 5-10 year plan. Have this been any annoucement I have missed or that just isn't getting the coverage of Toyota?

Old 08-03-2005, 03:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

It was also in the NYTimes with this added bit:
Mr. Press dismissed concerns raised about newer hybrid models, like Toyota's Lexus RX 400h, that have been criticized for diminishing fuel economy returns as the advanced technology is used in large part to enhance horsepower.

A lot of that's software," he said. I think at some point you'll even have a button you can pick, mileage versus performance, because you're managing the system. And the other part of that is, it really depends on driving habits.

He said drivers who try to handle hybrids like sports cars and zoom, rather than ease, from 0 to 60 will not maximize their fuel savings.

This car, up to 12 miles an hour, it uses no gas, he said.
--Walter

Last edited by Walter; 08-03-2005 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Errors