Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Explorer: Alaska's Last Oil on NGC

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:57 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Explorer: Alaska's Last Oil on NGC

From http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...#tab-Overview:
The world is addicted to oil. But now the easy pockets of oil are gone and the race is on to find new sources. Nowhere is the battle more intense than in Alaska - source of nearly 15% of America's domestic production, and home to the nation's largest wildlife preserve, the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, where companies are pushing to drill. EXPLORER travels back millions of years to see how oil was created, and looks to the future to ask how far we'll go to find every last barrel and at what cost.
It was pretty good and quite insightful. I didn't realize that Alaska oil production was down so much. They mentioned the Prudhoe Bay is producing about 400K barrels/day, down from the peak of 1.5 million barrels/day. They mentioned that if they just continued to produce from the wells they have now, maintain those wells and facilities they've got, production would decline about 16% a year. So, oil companies are taking steps to offset that.

ANWR was a big focus of the show and at the very end, they mentioned a government estimate of it holding between 4 and 12 billion barrels of oil over its lifetime, probably less than the US would use in a year. Interestingly, the low figure they mentioned is the high resource case mentioned at http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/servicer...r/results.html.

As with the 20/20 ep on oil addiction I mentioned, I think this ought to be required viewing for anyone who owns a gas guzzler or is in the market for one.

The next rerun is on 7/28.

Old 08-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Explorer: Alaska's Last Oil on NGC

I've been to Alaska before, beautiful country. It really does look like it's untouched, except in most areas of the small towns of course. It's a shame that we had to start drilling there. I can't see a positive outcome from this.