Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Ford Escape improvements

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Engineering first
Default Ford Escape improvements

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehi...74.A12078.html

Originally Posted by Eric_Peters
. . .
The Escape Hybrid gets some notable functional tweaks this year, and the tweaks make its gas-electric drivetrain run more efficiently. The biggest change comes with revised software that governs the operation of the gas-electric powertrain. With the new programming, the transition from all-battery operation to gas-electric operation is smoother than before. The previous Escape hybrid was not terrible in this respect, but the '08 model is noticeably better because you hardly notice the hybrid powertrain at all. Steering is now electric-assist, too, eliminating both the noise and the efficiency losses of an engine-driven hydraulic power steering pump. . . .

Sounds good!

Bob Wilson

Old 03-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert
Default Re: Ford Escape improvements

Except ALL Escape Hybrids, incl. 2005-2007 also have electric steering!

Ops!

Old 03-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The transition from electric to gas on my '07 is mighty smooth. I can't believe they were able to make it even better.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by gpsman1
Except ALL Escape Hybrids, incl. 2005-2007 also have electric steering!

Ops!
IMHO, once again the press is confusing the hybrid with the gas. For 2008, the gas only versions will also have electric steering.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:44 PM
OT7
Enthusiast

The fuel economy improvements are mainly due to improved aerodynamics, a new electronic power steering system, and a more efficient hybrid battery temperature management system. These enhancements have delivered an increase of 3 mpg in city driving and 1 mpg in highway driving for front-wheel drive (FWD) hybrid models, for an EPA-certified 34 mpg city and 30 mpg highway rating, making these models the most fuel efficient SUVs in the world. The four-wheel drive (4WD) versions of Escape Hybrid and Mariner Hybrid are rated at 29 mpg city and 27 mpg highw

Old 03-20-2007, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by OT7
These enhancements have delivered an increase of 3 mpg in city driving and 1 mpg in highway driving for front-wheel drive (FWD) hybrid models, for an EPA-certified 34 mpg city and 30 mpg highway rating, making these models the most fuel efficient SUVs in the world.
That's an interesting spin.

36 mpg "increases" by 3 to become 34, and 31 mpg "increases" by 1 to become 30.

Yea, I know the EPA conditions changed, but I find it interesting how they are dealing with it.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Actually the window sticker on my '08 FWD MMH, that I just picked up yesterday :-), stated 34 city (41 under old methods) and 30 highway (32 under old methods).

Old 03-21-2007, 08:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting. 41/32 is very impressive for an SUV. With 300 fewer pounds, I wonder what the Fusion Hybrid will get.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Is that new EPA or old EPA numbers? We should come up with some sort of code to indicate which we are talking about. The new EPA could be EPA2008 or something....

Too bad it still won't pull my boat.....

Old 03-22-2007, 04:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

The new numbers are 34/30, but the window sticker said under the old methods it would have been 41/32.

Quick Reply: Ford Escape improvements

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands