Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Ford exec: Japanese hogging hybrid parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 06:22 PM
Energy Independence!
Default A new Sputnik

What America needs is a new Sputnik........... one would think that the hybridnik would arouse American companies to demonstrate to the World, what America is best known for... to rise to an insurmountable challenge, and win!

However, that has not really happened this time.
What is going on???

Old 06-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Prof. of Hybridology
Default Re: A new Sputnik

Off Topic:
(Gets on soapbox):

Actually, I believe the problem is more fundamental. Children are deluded. They have every right to be, as they're pushed and told that they can become the next model, singer, basketball or whatever star. They can make millions just by playing a game or singing a song, and they can succeed at whatever they try at. They may even not even have to do that much, just be picked randomly off the street for a reality TV show and become famous. So, instead of focusing on becoming an engineer, they dream of being a rock star. Add in defunct and outdated teaching materials, teachers who don't have the drive they once did, and a society that focus' on celebrities, religious extreme acts, and on their right to not be held responsible what can you really expect? Then have them inundated with media and games that drive their attention span down and force them to sit in a chair and learn something they don't think is important to their lives? Big surprise when they turn into lazy bums who want things handed to them and complain when it isn't. Now, I'm not saying everyone should be forbidden from focusing on "fun" dreams like being a rock star, or a talent, just that there's way too much of a focus on it. Ask someone on the street who Paris Hilton is. Ask them who the President of the United States is. Ask them who won the Oscar for best picture last year. Ask them who won any of the Nobel Prizes last year. Guess which question you'll probably be unable to find anyone on the street can answer?

Okay, back on topic. I don't think it's so much of a whine as a realization that they're not in control of the ballfield anymore. Ford can't just demand something and get it, and it's proving to be a shock to them when they see the competition getting it.

Last edited by Pravus Prime; 06-11-2006 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2006, 04:48 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Re: A new Sputnik

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime

Okay, back on topic. I don't think it's so much of a whine as a realization that they're not in control of the ballfield anymore. Ford can't just demand something and get it, and it's proving to be a shock to them when they see the competition getting it.
Pretty shocking to see a Ford exec. complaining about capitalism..... Henry Ford is turning in his grave seeing this.....

Old 06-12-2006, 07:54 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast
Default Re: Ford exec: Japanese hogging hybrid parts

Off Topic:

Originally Posted by blinkard
Science, technology, and medicine aren't sexy. They're not what the cool kids do.
Ultimately however, it's what the successful kids do.

Originally Posted by pravus prime
Actually, I believe the problem is more fundamental. Children are deluded...
I think parents/society add to this too, by falsely encouraging their kids. Just look at any American Idol tryout. How many of those kids are convinced they are great because their parents are afraid to tell them the truth? Even after they're told they stink, you can hear the parents in the background, "That's OK honey - you'll be a star. Pay no attention to those industry experts..." So we have this generation of kids who are fairly convinced they are good at everything without the work to back it up. You can live like that through high school well enough. A college Calculus or Physics course will take care of whatever illusion you have about being good at math. You actually have to dig your heels in and work at it, and I think a lot bail out when it doesn't come as easly as their parents said it would.

Being a supportive parent is one thing. Making your kids believe they're good at everything and it all will come easy does more harm than help.

On Topic:

What did Ford expect by tying their fortunes to a competitor?

Old 06-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Let's not forget that Edison only spent 3 months in school, and Ford had little time for school, either. It's not so much their educational choices as a complete lack of curiosity that I see in kids these days. They don't know how things work. They don't care. They take it for granted. "Hybrid = good" is enough. Why? How do implementations differ? Shrug.

Maybe it's information overload. Everyone (young and old) seems to want things reduced to simple sound bites these days.

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Ask someone on the street who Paris Hilton is. Ask them who the President of the United States is.
Paris Hilton is a useless moron whose grandfather accomplished a lot, whose father accomplished a fair bit, and who has accomplished nothing on her own.

The President of the United States is a useless moron whose grandfather accomplished a lot, whose father accomplished a fair bit, and who has accomplished nothing on his own.

Incidentally, according to Wikipedia, Paris Hilton dropped out of private school and got a GED.

Originally Posted by fernando_g
What America needs is a new Sputnik...........However, that has not really happened this time. What is going on???
Greed. Enlightened self-interest, minus the "enlightened".

We once built the Woolworth, Chrysler, and Empire State buildings because we appreciated nice things. Now we build metal & glass boxes because they're cheaper.

We introduced Social Security, to provide a safety net for seniors. Now we try to gut it.

Even when healthcare costs are spiralling out of control, we won't adopt universal healthcare. Everyone is so worried that someone else might get a slightly bigger piece of the pie that nobody is allowed to have any pie at all, rather than concentrating on our own slice (to totally butcher a metaphor).

American society is in a (hopefully non-permanent) decline, and rather than address the issue, we stand around looking for scapegoats.

Old 06-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Prof. of Hybridology

Originally Posted by blinkard
American society is in a (hopefully non-permanent) decline, and rather than address the issue, we stand around looking for scapegoats.
Didn't you see the stages of a democracy?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...95.html?page=1

1. >From bondage to spiritual faith;
2. >From spiritual faith to great courage;
3. >From courage to liberty;
4. >From liberty to abundance;
5. >From abundance to complacency;
6. >From complacency to apathy;
7. >From apathy to dependence;
8. >From dependence back into bondage ."

However, I think most of that is best left to another thread. Let's try to stay on topic here, and should anyone want to continue or restart this discussion, you do so in anything goes.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:47 PM

I agree that BAS is more or less crap but that does not mean it will fall flat. It never ceases to amaze me what some will buy. Just the Hybrid badge should be enough many will buy.
While it definitely is not a full hybrid, and it is a bit of a stretch to market it as such, it does represent a fairly intelligent way to save a bit of gas for not a lot of cash up front -- balancing out the accessory load, and kiling the engine at idle, while it won't cut fuel consumption by 33% or more like a full hybrid, may cut it by 8-10%, which is still a lot better than nothing. I poersonally think they might do better if they made a huge jump and installed that standard on many of their cars, they could then say their entire fleet, or a large portion of it, has 10% improved economy, that would also save more gas than a smaller number of "full" hybrid systems, though I doubt we'll see that happen. If someone did something like that though, I think it would be a good move.

I also think there's a lot of possiblity to innovate and come up with some alternatives to the batteries as well. I believe it was Ford who came up with the idea for an engine start/stop system that used a hydraulic accumulator to store the power for the starter instead of a battery, eliminating the problems assocated with high-voltage power. A system like that woudln't require any "special" parts, and if applied to a whole fleet, could see a huge drop in total consumption for a small up-front cost.

Old 06-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
While it definitely is not a full hybrid, and it is a bit of a stretch to market it as such, it does represent a fairly intelligent way to save a bit of gas for not a lot of cash up front -- balancing out the accessory load, and kiling the engine at idle, while it won't cut fuel consumption by 33% or more like a full hybrid, may cut it by 8-10%, which is still a lot better than nothing.
I agree. After taking a second look at BAS it does seem to have some merit. I wouldn't call it a hybrid with a straight face but the idea is a sound one. Since a BAS takes the place and saves the cost of both the starter and the alternator it should be a very cheep and easy mod (so why don't we have zillions of them on the road by now?).

Old 06-13-2006, 05:58 PM

You guys do realize the original Ford/Toyota article, which started this thread, is nearly nine months old, right?

Old 06-14-2006, 05:55 AM
Energy Independence!

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
I poersonally think they might do better if they made a huge jump and installed that standard on many of their cars, they could then say their entire fleet, or a large portion of it, has 10% improved economy, that would also save more gas than a smaller number of "full" hybrid systems, though I doubt we'll see that happen. If someone did something like that though, I think it would be a good move.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read somewhere that Europeans are considering legislation for ALL vehicles to have at least an auto-stop feature, which in its simplest way is a BAS.

Quick Reply: Ford exec: Japanese hogging hybrid parts

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands